Lightweight waterproof jacket?

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
nothing too mad - sub 100 quid would be great. Really for use in winter so not too concerned about over-heating.

Was out on the bike on a monsoon today and got soaked - well apart from my feat which had seal-skinz socks on lol.

Comments

• http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67441 - half price if you take a large!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72788 - best on customer reviews and just £40!

Looking at it, at the sub 100 mark you have literally dozens of great options at Chain reaction at the moment, all quality makes so you know you will get a decent piece of kit. Interesting that the best on customer reviews is just £40 :)
    Forme Vision 2011
    MBK Tourer c2000 (Bombproof)
    Raleigh Kellogs Pro Tour 1989

http://www.cyclecommunity.co.uk
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    That Montane looks good but wouldnt get too excited about the rating though as only one person has reviewed it.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I bought the Montane jacket a couple of weeks ago but have not worn it other than to try on.

It's very much an emergency shell that folds up into the size of your fist. Its very thin and lightweight and I wouldn't want to rely on it in nasty weather. Good on top of your normal stuff if you get caught out in the rain though

One of the reasons I bought it (price aside) as it got great reviews on Bike Radar - they'd worn it for months and it stood up to use.
  • Jimx26 wrote:
    That Montane looks good but wouldnt get too excited about the rating though as only one person has reviewed it.

Also - that model is not waterproof!

This is the waterproof version. Montane Velo H2O Jacket @ £45;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34916
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • CHeers guys - the montane looks good but maybe too light for winter? What about this badboy?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9268
    endure gridlock
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I've got an Endura Laser II for use on the mountain bike, and for the money it's been really good. I'll happily buy another when I shred this one.

If the Gridlock is as good (and judging by the spec it should be better), then it should do the job admirabley.

The Montane Singletrack does ok in light showers when it's new, but give it a while and it's far from waterproof.

For commuting, I've got the older Montane Velo jacket (DT Entrant fabric) and it is also very good.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Absolutely now know I need to buy a new jacket - decision now made as in I rode in to work this am in the lashing rain and got wet wearing my 2 gore windstopper showerproof jackets !

I've spent hours searching and searching and have a few noted that seem to fit the bill one way of the other but would care for some opinions :
    I need
    1 Waterproof
    2 Bright colour
    3 Not mega sweaty.
    4 < £70
    5 Can be stuffed into a rear pocket.
    Last one I could compromise on but would be a pain if so :
    Endura Laser II or Gridlock - relatively weighty material ?
    Tried a Gridlock in LBS today and the quality seemed really nice - realise now I did not try to scrunch it up to see if it fits a rear jersey pocket but maybe not ? Got my sizing sussed - small is perfect.
    The Laser seems to be a slightly lower-spec jacket - just lesser quality hence poorer waterproofing/breathability or does it also mean it's a little thinner ?
    The Montane ones that get recommendations, espec with CRC's current prices seem to be great but as lightweight showerproof jackets maybe not the sort of torrential rain that on occasion I could have for my 18mile / 1 hour commute.

Altura Pocket rocket - Altura quality doesn't seem to be up with Endura but this is does pack down small and is said to be fully waterproof.
    DHB EQ2.5 - Wiggle reviews give it a generally good rep.

Gore jacket would be nice but for highly waterproof item I think they're out of my price range.

Any of the above recommended as close matches for my needs ? I know that getting all my requirements in a jacket, at that price point is probably a no-no but I'm not spending over £100 on a jacket when I already have good showerproof ones so this won't get constant use.
  • Cheers for the campagnolo heads up...
    12000mm is pretty damn good at that price... I've ordered one...

Looks great aswell...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The Laser II will scrunch up into it's own rear pocket, but how that compares to what you're looking for, I wouldn't like to say. It's even got little tabs so you can hang it on the frame ........which is a function I've never used, and wouldn't want to! I usually put it on and keep it on, or I've got a rucksack to keep it in.

It's cheaper than the Gridlock because it's made of a lesser fabric - how it compares in terms of packed bulk I honestly couldn't say.

My Velo will definately go into a rear pocket (stuff sack is about the size of an orange). It certainly packs down a lot smaller than the Laser.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Berghaus Paclite... I got one for walking and general use ages ago - but I now use it for riding when it's raining. Packs very small, is very light, and is waterproof.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Great price on the Paclite - what's the sizing like ?
  • ordered a gridlock - will let ya know how it performs.