Lights..

DannyUK
DannyUK Posts: 106
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing some lights for my bike. I don't plan to go out in the dark too often, however I recognise how important lights are when you do..

My question is, has anyone tried something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110940880284? ... 371wt_1271

And was it any good? Feedback appears positive..

Or would it be better paying an extra £60 for a Magicshine set?

Thanks,

Danny
All the gear, loads of fear...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, they work well for the price. Huge thread in the Buying section on lights, plus links, guides and the rest.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See the Buying Advice bit - pages and pages of stuff.
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12660193
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12807034
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • what do you do with that wire on the light when riding i take it that wire does not come out ?
  • DannyUK
    Thank you for the links, I will have a browse now..

Lights seem to be a big subject!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    geo123456 wrote:
    what do you do with that wire on the light when riding i take it that wire does not come out ?
    It attaches to the battery pack - the light unit is just the emitter. If you scroll down in the eBay listing you will see the contents, and top right of that picture is the battery pack in its pouch with a connector. Top left is the charger (and 2-3 pin adapter)... so you charge the battery pack (which is going to be 4x 18650s), and then e.g. attach the pack to your top tube and the light to your bars.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Oh i see do these lights come wireless just with a battery in them ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    geo123456 wrote:
    Oh i see
    No you don't!

The battery is in the pack, to power the light it has to be connected, for that amount of light, any battery that would fit in the lamp unit would give you a run time of about 15 minutes, that's why it's in the pack!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • geo123456 wrote:
    Oh i see do these lights come wireless just with a battery in them ?

This makes my head hurt :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    geo123456 wrote:
    Oh i see do these lights come wireless just with a battery in them ?
    There are 'torches' - so you can get a 1 x XML torch with 1 x 18650 which you run on your bars, and no wires are needed. I run a P7 SSC torch and an XML 501b torch - both use just one 18650 so no external battery pack. See the 'What Lights' sticky in MTB Buying Advice or read DIYs handy guide.

You can get 'bigger' torches which can run more emitters and which need more 18650 cells to power them... these are either longer (too long) or fatter. There's an example of a 5 x XML running off a 4 x 18650 posted on the What Lights Discussion... this would be very bright and would probably run 45 mins on full power, and a lot longer on medium. I've no idea what these are like.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I have one of these units (well the headlight only, I just use a cateye on the back) and its great for the money. I've put the battery pack in a waterbottle with a sealed hole for the cable; apparently they don't like getting wet.
  • I go with the torches. I have one on the handlebars and have ordered another and some velcro for the helmet.
  • DannyUK
    I bought these in the end guys... Highly recommend them... very bright! And for under £20? Cannot complain!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170776885696? ... 1439.l2649
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    DannyUK wrote:
    I bought these in the end guys... Highly recommend them... very bright! And for under £20? Cannot complain!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170776885696? ... 1439.l2649

I just bought the same ones off Ebay for £15 really bright for the £'s fitted them yesterday :)
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I use 2 Magicshine MJ-872's

After using these, I won't be using anything else... They are by far the brightest lights on our nighttime club runs...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd say, if you're thinking of buying 2 cheap lights, don't... The XML lights like in the first post are bright but very spotlighty, not particularily good IMO, my older lights were less bright but had a more suitable beam and were much more effective.

But, for a little more than twice the price of the cheapo options you can get a Magicshine MJ-872, or similiar- which usually comes with a better battery and better charger, and is a massively better light than 2 cheap XMLs. (or any other cheap options I've seen). It's pretty much the point where your cheap light stops being just a budget option and becomes a great light. Riding with one MJ-872 is better than riding with 2 or even 3 inferior lights.

Mind you having a spare is still a good idea.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    I have been using the magic shine light for 4 years plus, including Mountain Mayhem and Sleepless in the Saddle etc. still going strong.