Towbar Mounted Bike Racks

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
As I no longer have an estate car, getting bikes to and from is a right royal pain in the 455.

I am considered some sort of Thule towbar mounted rack. However, I am undecided on either the type you hang the bike on via the top tube eg Thule Hangon 9708

Or the rack you stand the bike on eg Thule Euroride 943

http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/Bik ... ers/Towbar

Does anyone have any thoughts, likes dislikes about either system.

The main advantage that jumps out at me is the hang one types are small and lighter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stand on evey time. bikes dont swing. But if you have a lot of DH bikes the runners can be a bit too close.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Halfords own brand are made by Thule, usually to an older spec, but for the saving.......

With Nick, but you can make life easier by facing them alternatively left and right and also staggering them so the same wheel (front or rear) is as far out as you can get it.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use a towbar mounted Buzzrack 'Buzzrunner 3' which is near enough the same as the Thule racks I have a Navara so putting them on the roof racks was getting a pain due to the height and the clamps all have locks on them for a bit of security. Plenty of space between the 3 bikes too.
    Have a look at www.roofbox.co.uk for more options and decent prices.

The main reason I went with a towbar stand on as it just seemed more secure as the wheels are of course supported plus there is also a clamp.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Now having used a hang on type one (on loan from a friend) I can appreciate their short falls!

Thus I have ordered a Buzz Quattro 4, thanks for the heads up and advice.