Cleaning matt paint

tuono
tuono Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hi,
Have a new Colnago M10s with matt paint finish, it is not easy to get oil, tar etc off the frame, due to the "rough" surface, anybody got any suggestions ? matt paint seems to be common on a number of frames these days, have tried elbow grease but not that easy !

Comments

• Google it.. Matt paint finishes on cars have been getting more popular.. there should be plenty of info out there.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    baby wipes are good for removing oil based stuff like tar etc
    i need more bikes
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Sell the bike!

I've got a bike with a matt finish and it's a bloody nightmare to keep clean, i've asked, i've googled and i've posted and nothing really works. The closest i've come is hot water/fairy liquid and a mild citrus degreaser for stubborn greasy marks. The degreaser is your gamble but a guy in an LBS demonstrated on a bike in their shop. I personally spray some foam degreaser on a rag and wipe the mark and then i rinse off with hot soapy water.
  • Bozman wrote:
    Sell the bike!

Yep, beggining to wish I'd stuck with the glossy paint. I found some stuff here which might be worth trying
    http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/dr-bea ... -298-p.asp.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Mrs big p has a ribble stealth that's matt black, i use a microfiber cloth and a small amount of white spirit, doesn't smell to pretty but cleans and de-grease's the frame a treat and costs bugger all from b&q.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Strip the frame and have it gloss lacquered. Will save you buckets of hassle in the long run :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • My Bottecchia has a rubberised finish and just using a normal cloth or towel to dry it is a nightmare as it leaves fluff all over it until I found "Wonder Wipes" on EBay, have a look at them they get grease off in a flash and ont leave any fluff. Unless my bike is covered in winter road muck then I don't use anything else to clean it, I do the drive train, wheels and frame, they're anti bacterial so good for the sadle and bar tape. Give them a go you won't be disappointed.