Halfords Somerset

Rich_awakening
Rich_awakening Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
As the name suggests need to find a Halfords in Somerset that isn't staffed by the cast of the muppets! Trying to arrange a test ride seems to be an uphill struggle to spend the £1000 voucher currently burning a hole in my paycheck! Anyone know of a good.or even the name of a good guy in a shit store?

All help greatly received!

Rich

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most Halfords don't do test rides. Some might let you do a circuit of the car park. Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • To be honest that's all I'm after just to work out if I suit a medium (18") or large (19") frame. Their response...it's only an inch, doesn't matter! >.<
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just sit on one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • They haven't a clue about things like standover height and tried to tell me a large was fine just because they had it in stock.

Do you research first, go into the shop and check sizes etc for yourself to be sure.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Halfords don't allow test riding as its against the H&S laws and their insurance policy.

Nothing stopping someone asking for a test ride, falling off in the car park and suing them for a ton and making a massive fuss about it, even though most people wouldn't do that and are genuinely after testing the bike they want to ride.

Personally it's shit as you really do need to sit on the bike and see how it feels amongst everything else.
    Most of the time I'd love to say to people go give it a blast round the car park but we cant, with big companies come rules and regulations that sometimes, unfortunately we have to follow.

<--Halfords staff member (not all of us are muppets either)
  • Thank you Jolmes like I said I'm sure you arnt ALL muppets just experience so far has shown me otherwise :-( was told I.could ride them round the car park, took my number in case it was "really heaving down" in which case I couldn't go.out, understandably! it rained.in the morning, and was almost dry outside, had no call so.went in, was told.neither bike was built or road.ready and even if they were it was too wet anyway. If I'd had a call I wouldn't have.minded but when I book it in they don't have them ready and no courtesy to call me to let me know, was very frustrating! Don't suppose you are based anywhere in Somerset?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A test ride is NOT against H&S laws, it may be against internal rules, not the same thing!

You ask for a test ride and fall off, no one would suport that claim, get real FGS!

My local Halfords allow test rides.....only a loop of the retail park car park mind.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I haven't been in there for a while so don't know whether she still works there but there was a girl in WSM that used to really know her stuff. She was an ex mtb instructor as well and offered some very useful advice when I bought my Idrive. I think her name was Jane but I'm not sure.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • jolmes
    Internal H&S yes, I am well aware its not the same thing - I did however check tonight that if the car park isn't too busy, i.e. later on at night then we do allow people to have a test ride in the car park, however it is still a touchy subject and you'll find some managers just don't allow it what so ever.

Fact is, our store is on a damn busy business park with lots of other shops, test riding a bike with drivers looking for a parking spot, it isn't exactly the best or most ideal way to test ride a bike is it now?
  • Thanks guys I'm not trying to start a war just after some.customer service! I have no choice but to use Halfords due to the scheme and just want to make sure I buy the right size bike for my £1000...
  • jolmes
    i'd ask them if they'll order you in a bike not on their site or in shop, I know we've been able to order a few Cubes and Specialized bikes for customers. You just need to ask em :) Good luck with it, hope you find a bike!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They haven't a clue about things like standover height
    Just to clarify, standover height has got NOTHING to do with whether a bike is the right size or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.