Car insurance - no claims discount question

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited September 2012 in The hub
Hello :D

I am in the process of sorting out car insurance but I seem to have hit a stumbling block...

For the past 4 years I have been named on a fleet policy (covering several cars including my own) in my ex's name, but was assured that my own no claims bonus that I had built up and that which I accrued would be protected in my name. I have just gone to sort out new insurance in my name only and have been told that this doesn't count and that my no claims is therefore zero :shock:

My quote for car insurance literally doubled which I really can't afford. I am trying to get hold of the current insurers to see what they are actually prepared to put in writing as that's what seems to count.

Is this correct though? Have I just gone back to zero no claims (even though I haven't actually made a claim in about 7 years and have always paid to protect the bloody no claims discount anyway??!!!!)?

A seriously hacked-off Miss Notax :evil:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I know some insurers offer these sort of things to "named additional drivers" on main driver's policy, but it only carries weight if they then take out their own policy with the same insurer, it's not a "real" no-claims-bonus that can be transfered the way that standard ones are. It's a way of tying people in to using their business.

not sure if this tis the problem in your case, as I've never had any dealings with "fleet" policies, so don't know if there's any particular issues in that case.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Unfortunatley pretty much yeah.

If your ex's policy was with Direct line when they were doing the named driver NCD thing you might have some luck but only from Direct line nobody else, other than that it's just a faff.

Best bet is to call direct line (used to work there so know a couple of tricks), say you're currently insured on your other half's car (may or may not be true) and are getting your own now but he wont drive it. As long as it's a pretty boggo car and you've got no convictions they should mirror the full bonus from your 'spouses' car. That's how I got my NCD after being named on the wife's policy for eons.

Other than that, try calling the sales people at a UK based call centre, they'll be super helpful to get a sale normally.

edit - other option is to get a letter from the transport manager of your ex's company saying how long you've been claim free for, that'll work too, but may be messy depends how it ended I spose...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • miss notax
    Thanks guys - I have FINALLY got through to the current insurers and apparently I am a joint policy-holder (and not a named driver) so I have the no claims in my name. Phew.

Hopefully this should resolve the situation?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Hopefully that should suffice, yes. Just make sure you get (and keep) a paper document prooving your entitlement to the NCB from them, as your new insurer will either demand to see this within a couple of weeks of the policy start date or expect you to have it at hand should you ever need to make a claim. Failing to provide it in either situation could cause your insurance to be nullified.
  • miss notax
    Yes, will definitely keep a paper copy!!

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    It varies from insurer.

I was a named driver on the wife's policy just due to being cheaper, however with the gender directive things and her claim it was cheaper in my name if I could get an insurer to accept ncd based on a named driver basis.

A couple of insurers wouldn't but I rang admiral and they accepted it even though all the years were with other insurers.

Computer would have said no but a human can view he risk in its entierty.