Setting Cleats up

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
So how hard is it to set your cleats up on your shoes?

I keep reading about people who are marking pen around their current position as they don't want to loose the current position they have found etc etc - Is it that hard to set them up properly..?

Comments

• no not really -firts time its a bit of trial and error- then if you've found the right position why not just make a little mark to show the fact. In fact after a few rides the dirt/dust will mark out where the cleats were anyway.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Thanks,

Just had visions of spending hours and hours trying to get something that felt ok - for some reason before looking into it in too much detail i imagined you would only have one position to fix them in! - Am i correct in saying i'd be best to go for a cleat that offered me a lot of "float" as a new rider?
  • Thanks,

Just had visions of spending hours and hours trying to get something that felt ok - for some reason before looking into it in too much detail i imagined you would only have one position to fix them in! - Am i correct in saying i'd be best to go for a cleat that offered me a lot of "float" as a new rider?

I'd say go for one with float - yer feets are different. My left has the cleat dead centre, my right has the cleat angled. Setting the cleats isnt really a issue - with fixed cleats - ie no float, the positioning is a bit more critical. For a first go try cleats with a degree of float - so much easier to set up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Some float may well help since position is less crucial, but I used to use the old cleat style shoes that had a slot and they had no movement whatsoever.

Get the cleat into the position where the ball of your foot is over the axle, and your foot is pointing straight ahead in so far as it feel comfortable. Go for a short ride to see how it feels, make adjustments and repeat as necessary. It won't take long until you get the cleats into a good position.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Turbo trainer helps. Nip them up so they still have a little movement in them. Ride for a few mins then freewheel being careful not to move your foot on the pedal.
    With your weight on one shoe, carefully undo the other shoe and without disturbing anything remove your foot.
    climb off, flip the pedal over with the shoe still attached and mark it on the sole. then tighten it up (might need to remove the shoe from the pedal to do it).
    Repeat with the other shoe.

Then ride the trainer and adjust if necessary.
    Peter