mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
took my new plane out on Saturday, it got pretty high up god knows how high

vlcsnap-2012-09-24-10h13m17s90_zps16b89e26.png

vlcsnap-2012-09-24-10h17m37s143_zps0f07cc13.png

vlcsnap-2012-09-24-10h18m29s186_zps51eae205.png

vlcsnap-2012-09-24-10h19m09s78_zps8c9b4ea4.png

about an hour after this video, a tree jumped out on the plane an tore a chunk out of the wing :(
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Quick, sell those photos to Apple.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Is this serious, did you really hit a tree with a plane ?

Oh I get it, a model plane..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • mudcow007
    aye plane is a called a Bixler

well was called a bixler, now its called a pile of foam
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Simple way to find out how high it goes, sellotape your mobile, with endomondo running, to the back of it! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    Simple way to find out how high it goes, sellotape your mobile, with endomondo running, to the back of it! :lol:

thats a good shout

i will use my work phone "just in case" another tree jumps out on me
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Can you buy replacement bits of foam? I guess the mechanical bits are still working.
  • cor those pics are clear - my mate used to live over the motorway - over the sausage bridge

Have you seen those aero hoobyists out by the copplehouse - quite a few there on a sunday.

Also went up moel famau a few weeks back and there were 2 guys there setting of their planes - they must have reached some height as they went into the clouds.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Can you buy replacement bits of foam? I guess the mechanical bits are still working.

all electronics are cool its just the wing that has damage

someone mentioned filling the hole with foam glue which expands?

i will give it awhirl basically the plane will be scrapped if its unrepairable

good job its pay day next week!
    cor those pics are clear - my mate used to live over the motorway - over the sausage bridge

i live about 5mins away from le sausage bridge!!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

all electronics are cool its just the wing that has damage

someone mentioned filling the hole with foam glue which expands?

i will give it awhirl basically the plane will be scrapped if its unrepairable

good job its pay day next week!
    cor those pics are clear - my mate used to live over the motorway - over the sausage bridge

i live about 5mins away from le sausage bridge!!

Be careful with expanding foam - it can create huge forces in confined spaces.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    SimonAH wrote:

to be honest i dont know i will keep the shape of the wing when i add expanding foam,

unless i just add it then trim after its "grown" i cant imagine the foam will sand very well though

i think i will try packing tape if that doesn't work i might just replace it - the plane i mean
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Nice field - is that yours?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    mudcow007 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

to be honest i dont know i will keep the shape of the wing when i add expanding foam,

unless i just add it then trim after its "grown" i cant imagine the foam will sand very well though

i think i will try packing tape if that doesn't work i might just replace it - the plane i mean

It should sand just fine, the only problem is that the cell size can be pretty large if you are unlucky with bubble positioning. Oh, and don't get the stuff on your hands, and don't be tempted to muck about with it until the next day after spraying.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • As a skydiver, i would say the highest photo is about 1000-1500ft give or take. Its pretty hard to estimate when you're not dangling there.