Waterproof overshoes vs socks, overtrousers vs 3/4 lengths..

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
As per title...this is my first winter commute, don't mind riding in the rain but until now it's been mostly warm. Now the weather is turning I need to know what's the most practical...

First up - I bought a pair of altura nightvision waterproof overshoes this weekend, but now I think maybe waterproof socks may be better? Just because of the faff of carrying the overshoes around and putting them on at the side of the road (assuming I don't start off wearing them). Socks would work out more expensive as I need to buy a few pairs...but might be less hassle as I could just wear them as normal and not worry about the rain. I wear Shimano MO77 mtb SPD's by the way, with vents in them, so when it's really cold maybe the overshoes would be better...or maybe I'll just wear an extra pair of socks...?

Secondly...I was going to buy some overtrousers today (altura nevis as I'm spending most of my money on a Gore Path goretex jacket) but again, while it might be ok when you put them on at the start of the journey...carrying them and then putting them on at the side of the road may be a bit of a faff...plus my commute is 18 miles at a pretty reasonable pace so if it's not in freezing weather I'm guessing I'll sweat a lot more...so maybe some waterproof 3/4 lengths (altura attack) that I just wear as normal on days when it might rain would be better/more breathable??

I'm a bit confused :) This bike lark is getting more and more expensive!!!

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Waterproof socks are rubbish on their own. Use them with over shoes or not at all.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    My waterproof overshoes are an engineering marvel: whenever I remove them after cycling in the rain, I find that my shoes are wetter than my jersey.

Any suggestions?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MTFU and ride wet.

Waterproof's just slow you down!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Stick with overshoes but add waterproof socks on real bad days. I have a similar length commute & if you put them on at the start and it doesn't rain, my feet don't overheat, its fine.

I also have waterproof socks and waterproof boots. Socks and overshoes are for really bad but 'warm' days and boots are for very cold / wet days.

Don't bother with trousers. Not over that distance. Keep a good pace and you'll keep warm and getting wet is an inevitability, not pleasant in trousers, better spent on full bibs.

If not already, don't underestimate the power of mud guards. Fitted Crud MK2s at the weekend, its amazing how dry they keep you.

vermin, sounds like you need guards?!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wouldn't bother with waterproof trousers, too flappy/sweaty for me, I'd suggest some roubaix or windproof bib tights.

As for the feet, waterproof socks might not keep all the water out, but they act like a wetsuit so they keep your feet warm, even when wet. You don't need a pair for every day though, so one or two pairs, and a pair of overshoes should do a decent job.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't bother with waterproof socks any more; the water runs down your legs, fills the sock and then can't get out. I just wear merino socks. Even if they get wet they are still warm.

Guards are the most effective war to stay dry, most of what soaks you comes up off the road. Coupled with decent overshoes and you should be fine. I wear BBB ultraflex. Thy are my fourth pair of overshoes and the first I've found that actually work in anything worse than a light mist.

They also fit over both my shoes and my winter boots so that's a double win.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU and ride wet.

:)

riding wet is fine, getting to work then packing away soaking wet 3/4 lengths into a bag then putting them on still soaking wet for the cold ride home isn't as fine ;)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU and ride wet.

riding wet is fine, getting to work then packing away soaking wet 3/4 lengths into a bag then putting them on still soaking wet for the cold ride home isn't as fine ;)

Hang em on a radiator. When people walk into the office what is that smell, look at them - with as blank an expression as your face can muster - and say "what smell?"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU and ride wet.

Hang em on a radiator. When people walk into the office what is that smell, look at them - with as blank an expression as your face can muster - and say "what smell?"

Radiators?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU and ride wet.

Radiators?

Hang them over your computer/monitor. It's an unconventional business look, granted, but it gets the job done.
  • cheers for all the replies. I've never ridden my bike without mudguards - learnt that lesson on my first bike :)

I did notice most people today wearing waterproof(ish) jackets and shorts, set me thinking do I need the overtrousers...but again, I've got no place at work to dry soaking wet 3/4 lengths (baggies I'm afraid, not gone down the lycra shorts route yet) and so that's why I thought a reasonable compromise might be the waterproof 3/4 lengths.

incidentally regarding the overshoes - if you don't wear trousers don't they leak in through the top? (I'm not tried them yet)

thanks again
  • oh yeah regarding the radiators - the only working ones available to me are in the office kitchen...not gonna do that to people :)
  • I've got some gore fusion 3/4 shorts, soft shell not waterproof but pretty warm when they finally get wet. Best thing is they are non rustly and non baggy, actually comfortable to ride in.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Neoprene overshoes are excellent, you will get wet feet but they`ll be warm as you won`t get the windchill. I rode a couple of times with waterproof socks, never again!! My feet hurt so bad with the wet and cold!
    Waterproof shorts? I bought some ex army goretex pants and cut them down to 3/4 length, they do work keeping your thighs a bit warmer and not as wet, pack down small too.
    Also consider buying knee warmers, a very good buy :D:D
  • +1 for merino socks.

Have experimented with various options over the years - waterproof jackets, overtrousers, shoe covers etc but now if the weathers bad it's a case of 1 or 2 merino layers up top with a Montane Featherlight jacket, lined 3/4 bib shorts, merino socks and road shoes (I've also got Goretex SPD boots but they have a tendency to fill up and don't dry out by the time I'm heading home).

Although the Montane jacket isn't waterproof it keeps the chill out and the merino keeps the heat in when wet.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    From my 5 years commuting experience: Waterproof trousers lasted 1 day as I realised that they made you as wet from sweat as they kept you dry from rain; thicker (e.g. roubaix style) lycra acts as both a wind barrier and a wetsuit, keeping you warm even if its raining so ride invest in decent winter tights; Neoprene overshoes are great but fall apart if you constantly need to take them off of your shoes; make sure you tape up the vents in your shoes otherwise water creeps in the bottom; waterproof socks are not worth it but merino ones are; keeping warm is more important than keeping dry.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I got a pair of Sugoi overtrousers in Cyclesurgery's sale a couple of years ago; until this year, I'd barely worn them since it just doesn't rain that often. Having said that, when I know that I've got a ride over 30 minutes and it's chilly outside, I'll put them on and it does make it more pleasant. I don't seem to sweat that much on the inside of them so I do stay drier. But a decent pair of windproof tights would be better value for money since you'll get more wear out of them.

Never really got on with overshoes because of the hassle factor - and because they always end up gaping around my calves and letting water in anyhow. I did buy a pair of Lake eVent water/windproof boots which have been brilliant - dry feet even when it's tipping it down - and some merino socks for the chilly days.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I use over shoes, I duct tape up as much venting as possible in my shoes and keep the water proof socks for on the way home if the waters seeped into my shoes through the over shoes, that way my feet are dry at least at the start of the run home. Which reminds me I need to find mine out, I think they are BBB speedflex jobbies.
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    I use neoprene overshoes, work a treat for me much than just waterproof socks. For any decent distance commute waterproof over trousers just leave me sweaty wet so now I just go for tights/ shorts and dry them out in the day. So, so lucky to actually work somewhere now with a drying room... blissful!
    Previously I've just dried them on the radiators, although if that's not an option how about two pairs? It's not like they take up that much space.
  • CJ Bill
    Oh, and as to "this cycling lark" becoming more and more expensive? Welcome to having a hobby :-)
    Wait until you get to x = n + 1 yet (where x is the number of bikes you have and n is number of bikes you need).
  • Bill, I don't think that formula is quite right.
  • CJ Bill
    Alternatively, x could stand for the number of glasses of wine you've had and n the number of glasses at which you should stop posting things on the internet...
  • Bill, I don't think that formula is quite right.

True.

wife = n DONT YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT +1.
  • in the end I bought a goretex waterproof jacket and kept the overshoes...did try on the waterproof 3/4 lengths but I wasn't convinced, they were really rustle-ly and I got the impression I would sweat a lot in them in this weather at least.

Thanks for all your replies...gonna have a think about what to do next :)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    On topic, purchased some 3/4 shorts [dhb areon], great fit, great pad, perfect except the legs rolls up and kind of jam under my knees.

Does this happen with all 3/4 bibs? think I need some with longer grippier legs. Maybe they'll get better with a few wears.
  • What do you wear over trainers to keep them dry if you do not wear mtb shoes?
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • signs
    signs Posts: 17
    hi
    i leave a spare kit at work, so nice and dry for the ride home, leave the wet kit at work to dry out then wear that home the next day and so on
  • So...I wore the goretext jacket and overshoes today...didn't rain for most of the journey and was only light rain for the bit it did. And was 12C.

So while the jacket was fantastic compared to waterproof jackets I've had in the past - £50 ones that are supposed to be breathable but in the same conditions force me to stop after 10 mins cos of the heat - it was a lot more breathable but I was still soaked with sweat at the end anyway. As I say its an 18 mile journey with a moving average of around 18mph so that's always gonna happen in this weather I reckon...so it'll be of more use when it gets a bit chillier or it's proper, manly heavy rain for the whole journey ;)

And the overshoes look freaking stupid when combined with shorts/3/4 lengths but they did the job :)