recommend a torque wrench

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
...and bit set if it doesn't come with them, don't mind splitting the purchase to save money.

Thanks
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Depends on what you want from it. I usually buy halfords professional tools (at a discounted price because I'm in the automotive trade) and they are great quality and (with the discount) bloody good prices.

Otherwise Draper or Halfords "regular" tools are good value for money, or Aldi often do a good range of tools. Come quite highly regarded by some users and you'll struggle to find cheaper.
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • I use Teng tools torque wrenches (i have 3 covering 2nm to 100nm) but do get a calibrated one. As for sockets, I have a small numer of snapon sockets and some Halfords professional torx and hex sockets. I have a snapon 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet. All the snapon kit is 25 years old and performs like new.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Superstar do a nice 1/4 inch torque wrench that comes with a set of bits. I wanted a small torque wrench because my other wrenches dont go down far enough for fitting carbon parts. Seems accurate enough I tested it against my 3/8 inch wrench which was calibrated recently.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=550
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Liking that superstar one, and it comes with the hex keys as well.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    On that note - I've got a standard sq. drive torque wrench and adapters that allow me to use all different size square socket ends BUT what I really could use is an adapter that would let it accept the hex-shaped bits that you use with ratchet screwdrivers and drill-drivers. (Hope this makes sense, I'm not sure of the correct terminology).

I've had a good look round online, but can't find the right sort of thing -anyone know where I can find one?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    jimothy78 wrote:
    On that note - I've got a standard sq. drive torque wrench and adapters that allow me to use all different size square socket ends BUT what I really could use is an adapter that would let it accept the hex-shaped bits that you use with ratchet screwdrivers and drill-drivers. (Hope this makes sense, I'm not sure of the correct terminology).

I've had a good look round online, but can't find the right sort of thing -anyone know where I can find one?

I know the thing you mean - I got mine from Equitech (Google them)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I've got a very good free torque wrench. It came free with my body, linked to my brain it is most effective.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    edited September 2012
    jimothy78 wrote:

Here you go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Drive-Socket-Hex-Bit-Holder-10mm-hex-shank-bits-Franklin-Draper-Sealey-/110778251076

and 3/8" and 1/4" ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140847708019
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Awesome - thanks Stubs!
  • 97th choice
    stubs wrote:
    Superstar do a nice 1/4 inch torque wrench that comes with a set of bits. I wanted a small torque wrench because my other wrenches dont go down far enough for fitting carbon parts. Seems accurate enough I tested it against my 3/8 inch wrench which was calibrated recently.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=550

Just bought this, and it's reduced to 35.99. happy days

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tighten by feel
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • 97th choice
    Have done for years, but have decided to get a lot more @nal as I grow old.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500