Behind the scenes at the Worlds

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Hi All,

Here's a little article I wrote; I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.bicyclingnewsasia.com/en/roa ... a-meltdown

Cheers,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Enjoyed that but I'm fairly sure that you aren't allowed describe the outgoing World Champ as having a "face like a smacked arse", sick or not. It could be regarded as bring the sport into disrepute and you can probably expect a lawsuit to be winging its way from Aigle as we speak.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Really enjoyed reading this Steve, thanks for posting. Makes me absolutely determined to get over for Amstel, and to go to Florence for next year's Worlds.
  • Good article, btw, it's "in vain", not "in vein".
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for the feedback, chaps.

Langerdan - I am consulting with my editor and his legal team about the comment so it may change!

Adam - thanks for spotting that - tight deadlines and all that, as it's probably best to keep veins out of pro cycling, if you catch my drift......

Cheers,
    Steve
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Enjoyed that but I'm fairly sure that you aren't allowed describe the outgoing World Champ as having a "face like a smacked ars*", sick or not. It could be regarded as bring the sport into disrepute and you can probably expect a lawsuit to be winging its way from Aigle as we speak.

Whats wrong with him saying that? if he thinks Cav had a face like a smacked ars£ then thats what he thought. Its only his opinion after all. all this "USA' style lawsuit filing has to stop, its getting f*cking ridiculous.

And besides, Cav always looks like hes got a face like a slapped ars£ when riding. Not surprising considering last year he won the green jersey, the worlds and BBC sports personality. This year he lost the green jersey, lost the worlds and didnt win an olympic medal, its been a stark contrast to last year so Cav probably has got a face like a slapped ars£.
  • greentea wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    Enjoyed that but I'm fairly sure that you aren't allowed describe the outgoing World Champ as having a "face like a smacked ars*", sick or not. It could be regarded as bring the sport into disrepute and you can probably expect a lawsuit to be winging its way from Aigle as we speak.

Whats wrong with him saying that? if he thinks Cav had a face like a smacked ars£ then thats what he thought. Its only his opinion after all. all this "USA' style lawsuit filing has to stop, its getting f*cking ridiculous.

And besides, Cav always looks like hes got a face like a slapped ars£ when riding. Not surprising considering last year he won the green jersey, the worlds and BBC sports personality. This year he lost the green jersey, lost the worlds and didnt win an olympic medal, its been a stark contrast to last year so Cav probably has got a face like a slapped ars£.

Entertaining though your comments are re the Cavster, the blog and the above post were actually referring to Giorgia Bronzini. There are women world champions too - who knew... :shock:

And the post about lawsuits was using irony. You're not 'merican by any chance, are you? :)
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    Great article Steve,

We had a great weekend, went across and staying in Brugge Friday night (great place), and then went to valkenberg and halfway up the Cauberg to watch the womens event. That was really good, everybody really spot on and helpful, GB appeared knackered at the end, the San Marino rider who clung on to finish got some great support. Nice to see at about 1:30 in the afternoon a blond dutch women, being helped down the cauberg, off her face and unable to walk properly!

Pity about GB, but fantastic cheer all down the hill when Vos won after what seemed an age since she passed us. Back in the town centre at the bottom was great, our kids loved the street party / crush. My 6 year old lad dancing around with the dutch women in the bar below.

Sunday was a step up again. Just missed the start in maastricht but good to get the kids photos taken next to the sign on sheet. We then went up to Bemelen to scope out where to watch the mens race. Ended up watching half way up the hill which was a great set up, loads of food / drink vans, UCI merchadise spot to get the kids something, huge big screen, comedy brass band, big pub / hotel and big grass area to watch from if you didn't fancy roadside, plus lots of TVs around. We watched most of it road side, about 150 yards from the screen so best of both worlds. Met Nicole Cooke up there watching the race with the fans too, really happy to have her picture taken with my daughter which was nice - made my daughters day obviously. I also met up with occasional poster 'justafan' up there too, nice to meet you fella! Hope you got back ok. Had a good chat with some belgians and dutchies too throughout the day.

Race was great, fantastic to see Cav on the front on the first ride past, truly class ride from him yesterday. They were really giving it some up the climb towards the end,thought GB might have had a chance, and Stannard rode a fantastic last lap (just watched it again) maybe just a bit unlucky on the last climb for positioning but great to see Gilbert win, whole place erupted when he went away!

Definately coming back for Amstel, need to try and get in the amateur ride the day before, and then book monday off this time so i can have a few beers!

Steve - Advice was spot on, really grateful thanks! the only thing you got wrong was the weather...
  • pottssteve
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! I watched both races from down in Maastricht, just as they turned into Bemelerweg. Not quite the same atmosphere but nice, nonetheless. Bemelerberg looked like part of the Alps for the day!

Amstel is, of course, a different race with a lot more climbs to choose from. No circuit, but if you bring a map and a bike it's so winding you can see them several times on the route.

Weather was not bad, in the end - strong easterly but only a tiny spot of rain - so was better than predicted. The rain arrived late - it poured down here yesterday...

Maybe see you in April for Amstel.

Steve