rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited September 2012 in Pro race
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Going for the classics, then?
  • It sounds like they are not ready, it is all talk of working towards better bikes and new bikes.

Why would a Pro Team go to a manufacturer that does not sound like they have all the bikes required?

One positive though, I now own a bike brand that is used on the pro circuit!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    a bloody tragedy for Wilier, although TBH Lampre had'nt picked any major team leaders for some time. hope Wilier find a more ambitious team to supply now
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • liquor box wrote:
    It sounds like they are not ready, it is all talk of working towards better bikes and new bikes.

Why would a Pro Team go to a manufacturer that does not sound like they have all the bikes required?

Because that manufacturer offered them more in sponsorship.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    liquor box wrote:
    It sounds like they are not ready, it is all talk of working towards better bikes and new bikes.

They are one of the world's biggest bike manufacturers. I doubt they'll struggle to churn out a few team bikes before the start of next season!
  • It's sad. I always thought that Wilier bikes were the only real class act in Lampre.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross wrote:
    liquor box wrote:

They are one of the world's biggest bike manufacturers. I doubt they'll struggle to churn out a few team bikes before the start of next season!
    I would have thought so too!
    On top of that, early in 2013 a time trial bike that has been developed from scratch to meet the demands of time trialling with the world’s elite is going to be presented. More team bikes tailor-made to suit the needs for cobble-stone classics such as Paris-Roubaix or particularly aerodynamic models for long escapes and building a lead-out train for a sprinter are going to be presented throughout the next year
  • A sh1t team need sh1t bikes. Makes sense. ;-)
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    liquor box wrote:

And you can also buy pro peloton bikes at Halfords now.
  • I can remember Hans-Michael Holczer commenting in an article in Cycle Sport/Pro Cycling on how much better Specialized bikes were for alignment than Wilier when the Gerolsteiner team switched over. And funnily enough, Merida make bikes for Specialized.
  • As far as I'm aware Gerolsteiner disbanded before the introduction of the Cento Uno which is regarded as a modern classic in the C59 vein. Apart from a change in the carbon and a tweak of the head tube and top tube the bike remained pretty much unchanged since its introduction until the new CU SR arrived at the Tour. It was interesting to note that none of the Lampre riders were using the new SR during the Worlds but had reverted back to the Cento Uno SLR. Could have been due to the impending change in contract or it could have been due to an SR breaking up on a stage of the Tour.
  • A sh1t team need sh1t bikes. Makes sense. ;-)

Ugly team ugly bikes
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    edited September 2012
    liquor box wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    liquor box wrote:

I would have thought so too!
    On top of that, early in 2013 a time trial bike that has been developed from scratch to meet the demands of time trialling with the world’s elite is going to be presented. More team bikes tailor-made to suit the needs for cobble-stone classics such as Paris-Roubaix or particularly aerodynamic models for long escapes and building a lead-out train for a sprinter are going to be presented throughout the next year

I took that to mean they are going to roll out various bikes tailored for various events, basically marketing crap as they'll probably just to a few tweaks to make the bikes more suited to P-R etc. like every other manufacturer does.
  • Is there someone here believing PRO teams make a choice of bike on the grounds of quality? They get free equipment and some cash... who offers the better deal get the contract... bikes are all the same anyway... you don't really believe that a frame can win you a race?
    left the forum March 2023
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    bikes are all the same anyway... you don't really believe that a frame can win you a race?

No and no, assuming the first comment was a question. A bike can contribute to winning a race, same as training, tactics, luck etc contribute. Not all in the same degree admittedly :wink:
  • Is there someone here believing PRO teams make a choice of bike on the grounds of quality? They get free equipment and some cash... who offers the better deal get the contract... bikes are all the same anyway... you don't really believe that a frame can win you a race?

Didn't someone already say this?
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Perhaps Wilier felt Lampre's total absence of wins was giving their bikes a bad reputation.
    I realise it is usually the cyclist or the Dr that gets better results, but didn't Trek spend massive amounts to get the best TT bike for Armstrong and his teams? I dont see a "normal" road bike making a huge difference but having thr most advanced TT bike or a bike capable of not falling apart on cobblestones in classics should make a difference
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Where is this ditch? Although I suppose I've already missed my chance.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Crazy.