When Do You Do It?

DevonClimber
DevonClimber Posts: 90
edited September 2012 in Road general
This may have been done before(don't care), but I would like to hear about you early or late people.
Partly inspired by a previous thread where someone says they do it at 0430! I would like to know what extreme times you do it, why you do it and how you do it, so it may inspire me to do it!
“If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”

Comments

• 0430 ride out once-ish a month. Do it to see if I can make any additional time on the Strava segments on my way to work on the commute!

Usually try to get the weekend riding out of the way by 1000, but it's not possible on the club runs. Do it for no reason other than to get it out of the way and have the rest of the day to myself.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    0430 ride out once-ish a month. Do it to see if I can make any additional time on the Strava segments on my way to work on the commute!

Usually try to get the weekend riding out of the way by 1000, but it's not possible on the club runs. Do it for no reason other than to get it out of the way and have the rest of the day to myself.

For me, cycling is the rest of my day, not something I do to get out of the way.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    meursault wrote:
    0430 ride out once-ish a month. Do it to see if I can make any additional time on the Strava segments on my way to work on the commute!

For me, cycling is the rest of my day, not something I do to get out of the way.

Na much better to be done in the AM. I sometimes get up at 6am on a Sat/Sunday so my ride is done by 9.30/10
  • It is warming up now where I live and the Sun is rising at about 5.15am, I am on the road by 5.30am for about and hour and a half, in the middle of summer I am usually out by 4.45am on my weekends and on workdays I am usually on the road by 9am as I am a baker and start early. By 9am in Summer it is usually around 28degrees C so I want to get out while it is cool

Between July and October I never ride after 11am as it is too windy for me.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I'm an early riser so i'm always out by 6.30am for my rides.

I REALLY detest traffic so the quieter the roads the better.
  • At this time of the year I do most of my cycling in the hours of darkness. When I get home from work I can't really just jump on the bike and go out for a couple of hours as my wife and kids would kill me. So i have to wait until the little ones are in bed. So I get out about three times a week, for a couple of hours each time, at around 8.30pm, fully lit up. The routes I use are 100% country roads without lighting. I love it!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'm always amazed by the preponderance of extreme early morning types in cycling. Exercise just feels wrong to me first thing in the morning, the body is still adjusting, energy stores are low. Almost always evenings for me (or afternoons at the weekend). I'm in Helsinki, so during the summer it can be light until practically midnight. During the week I'll usually go out as late as possible so that I can get 2 hours in and be getting back just as the sun is setting. For much of the summer this is late enough to be after most people's bedtime (Finns are also early risers - mad, the lot of them), so the roads are often completely empty, like something out of "28 days later". They even switch off many of the traffic lights! For long weekend rides I'll usually have lunch first and then give it a couple of hours to digest.

Of course now we are approaching the equinox it is getting more and more difficult to fit in a decent ride after work before sunset, but the day is shortening rapidly at the other end too, so there would only be a few weeks of the year when it would be easier to get a couple of hours of daylight in the early mornings.
  • I usually wait til after the rush hour(s) and depending on what shift I am working. I was planning to get out this morning but it is tipping it down outside, not that I'm a fair weather rider but there are exceptions.
    I'm new to this and as previous threads I've posted confirm Chavingstoke (basingstoke) has a lethal ringroad system so I'm discovering different routes out of town. But once I get my energy levels back I prefer Mornings or early afternoon.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • morning rides are perfect for me, fit's in with the family duties, out at 5.30 - 6am, back by 7.00 - 7.30am several times a week or sometimes I ride to work so get to ride home in the evening too - double bubble !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • For me it's a case of "not early mornings unless someone else decides the time". I've never been much of a morning person, much less an early morning person. Going out later at the weekends also means less bikes to deal with - not so bad on road, but the phrase "hell is other people" was totally invented for MTBing.
    Mangeur
  • I have a season ticket at Spurs (for my sins) so an ideal Saturday for me is up & out the door by 6:30, 40/50 mile cycle & in by about 9, nice breakfast then meet the boys for beers & a good day out.

In the week I work from home so always try & get a few hours out on a Thursday afternoon