Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Just bought my sportive photos.

alihisgreatalihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
.. instantly regret it. What a rip off!
«1

Posts

  • how much do they charge? Not that i have ever seen any?
  • alihisgreatalihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    edited September 2012
    how much do they charge? Not that i have ever seen any?


    too much... was like £7.50 each for two I think :!:

    when are we going to get a photographer included in our entry fee?


    oh and I missed one of the photo points because we were drafting a tractor!

    not bad photos though:

    8017059196_59e924be84_z.jpg
  • When everyone wants to actually pay for one..... which will never happen.

    Only a small fraction of entrants will actually buy a photo and thats why they are expensive - all day taking photographs and a few dozen at most 'might' buy a shot or two and the price doesn't come into it.

    Most folks wouldn't buy one even if it were £1

    How many people actually took part in the sportive ?
  • When everyone wants to actually pay for one..... which will never happen.

    Only a small fraction of entrants will actually buy a photo and thats why they are expensive - all day taking photographs and a few dozen at most 'might' buy a shot or two and the price doesn't come into it.

    Most folks wouldn't buy one even if it were £1

    How many people actually took part in the sportive ?


    It wasn't a huge one.. just under 700 I think.

    Probably won't buy them next time at that price though. Just thought I would since its my first sportive.
  • how much do they charge? Not that i have ever seen any?


    too much... was like £7.50 each for two I think :!:

    when are we going to get a photographer included in our entry fee?


    oh and I missed one of the photo points because we were drafting a tractor!

    not bad photos though:

    8017059196_59e924be84_z.jpg

    Hold on thats ME. :D

    Yeah I know what you mean - i did a half marathon a while back and the photos were a fiver. The sportive photos have range of formats and prices and its so tempting to buy one, but they always seem to have 5 or 6 some at a tenner a pop - 60 quid on top of the entry fee - nah, some a rip off. :cry:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • 700 people and probably around 70 will buy - thats a whole day of photography for £600

    Hardly worth the petrol and overnight accommodation and certainly not enough to get rich on.

    I managed to shift 300 shots from 1500 competitors at an event in 2010 - paid for the hotel, the petrol and all the hassle but didn't bother next time around. Not enough folks willing to pay unless its a prestige event and the photo is a finishing line one.

    Photo isn't that good though - too much wasted space to the side and they could have zoomed in closer. They should be taking portrait shots of riders from that angle.
  • 700 people and probably around 70 will buy - thats a whole day of photography for £600

    Hardly worth the petrol and overnight accommodation and certainly not enough to get rich on.

    I managed to shift 300 shots from 1500 competitors at an event in 2010 - paid for the hotel, the petrol and all the hassle but didn't bother next time around. Not enough folks willing to pay unless its a prestige event and the photo is a finishing line one.

    Photo isn't that good though - too much wasted space to the side and they could have zoomed in closer. They should be taking portrait shots of riders from that angle.


    Yeah the other one's portrait -> I guess they were taking different style shots at different points.

    8017058094_ae5656bd70_z.jpg
  • crakercraker Posts: 2,060
    You don't have to buy them... £7-50 for two seems perfectly reasonable, and I imagine you had a preview? Remember that's someone giving up a Sunday to stand around for 6 hours or so and go and find someone to host loads of images.

    Not that I've ever bought any...
  • craker wrote:
    You don't have to buy them... £7-50 for two seems perfectly reasonable, and I imagine you had a preview? Remember that's someone giving up a Sunday to stand around for 6 hours or so and go and find someone to host loads of images.

    Not that I've ever bought any...

    £15 for two.. £7.50 each.
  • well its not too bad put it down to experience just a shame he never got your face in focus. nice bike by the way :D
  • dw300dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If you bought them without seeing them, and aren't happy, just ask for your money back. I doubt it'll cause any fuss.

    The photographer can only work with what you give him .. lead a group through rather than getting dropped and cycling on your own. :P
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    If you bought them without seeing them, and aren't happy, just ask for your money back. I doubt it'll cause any fuss.

    The photographer can only work with what you give him .. lead a group through rather than getting dropped and cycling on your own. :P


    haha I was the one doing the dropping :wink:

    (well... a load of people stopped for some guy's mechanical.. and the others were still at the fuel stop -> does that count as dropping :lol: )
    well its not too bad put it down to experience just a shame he never got your face in focus. nice bike by the way :D

    Thanks! its only a Defy 1 but I like the way it photographs -> probably looks ok because i keep it obsessively clean! (cue picture of bike 5 mins after being washed)

    8017091517_709671f633.jpg
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    You need to sort out that facial hair !
    :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    You need to sort out that facial hair !
    :D

    Santa
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,027
    One of the few side benefits of road racing.. there is always someone taking pictures who will upload for nix..
    EjssW.jpg

    no ,for once thats not me at the back....
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,498
    My son takes photos of marathons and athletic events, it seems a long day for little payback.

    At one track event there were posters around the grounds saying, in effect, that you were not allowed to take photographs without a permit and that there was an official photographer. Most people of course, just ignored this, and I daresay I'd have been one of them if I'd been there watching my family taking part. But when I knew how much time he'd put in there it made me a bit annoyed to see the "unofficial" cameras.

    It's also difficult to know what to charge, the OP's photos sound expensive BTW

    I think if my son charged less, he'd be overwhelmed with the take-up, and it's quite a lot of work afterwards to get the photos printed, packaged and mailed. I sure he'd get more business if he could print and sell "on the day", and make a better return on his time.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • MattC59 wrote:
    You need to sort out that facial hair !
    :D

    fixed:

    8019187493_2539bab931_z.jpg
  • by the way, did you order the digital download or an actual photo.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • by the way, did you order the digital download or an actual photo.

    digital download.
  • by the way, did you order the digital download or an actual photo.

    digital download.

    That does indeed sound a rip off. Still theres always xmas :D

    santaBike_zps72f1573d.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • izzaizza Posts: 1,561
    When everyone wants to actually pay for one..... which will never happen.

    Not totally true - Hot Chillee's L2P includes photographers on motorbikes for all three days.
    I managed to shift 300 shots from 1500 competitors at an event in 2010 - paid for the hotel, the petrol and all the hassle but didn't bother next time around. Not enough folks willing to pay unless its a prestige event and the photo is a finishing line one.

    Let's do some censored packet maths

    Total income for tiredofwhiners is estimated as £300 * £7.50 = £2,250.

    For that event there was 1500, entrants so if everyone contributed £2 then the photographer would get more.

    I've never seen people quibble to the level of £2 on the price of a sportive. If last year's event was £25 to enter and this year's version was £27, would people seriously whine?

    As such, I'd prefer to see more sportives include the price of photographers.
  • izza wrote:
    If last year's event was £25 to enter and this year's version was £27, would people seriously whine?
    As such, I'd prefer to see more sportives include the price of photographers.

    Yes, they would as one photographer would not even be close to guaranteeing that everyone got a decent photo. if its in the price folks will reasonably expect it to be provided and it would probably take four photographers or more to ensure that. So cut the money for the photographers in four or five. Still not worth doing it.

    And no, most folks would rather see the photo before deciding if they want to pay for it, and judging by the number who look and decide no thanks, they wouldn't pay.

    You can tell easily that I am right - because it doesn't happen. If it was wanted and made economic sense, then someone would have done it. The fact that nobody has, shows its not economic.
  • ProssPross Posts: 26,062
    700 people and probably around 70 will buy - thats a whole day of photography for £600

    Hardly worth the petrol and overnight accommodation and certainly not enough to get rich on.

    I managed to shift 300 shots from 1500 competitors at an event in 2010 - paid for the hotel, the petrol and all the hassle but didn't bother next time around. Not enough folks willing to pay unless its a prestige event and the photo is a finishing line one.

    Photo isn't that good though - too much wasted space to the side and they could have zoomed in closer. They should be taking portrait shots of riders from that angle.

    How much did you charge on average for a photo? Using the £7.50 the OP paid that's £2,250 so even allowing for a full tank of fuel (say 500 miles) at £80 and another £100 for hotel and overnight stays and again, using the OP's situation, the photos were downloads so no printing or postage costs. I don't know what hosting costs but I suspect a lot of people would be more than happy with that pay back for a day / weekend of work. In fact, it seems to stack up very well against a wedding photographers rates with all the faffing about that goes with that.

    EDIT Forgot to allow for however much you have to pay the organiser to be an official photographer but still would have thought it offers a pretty good return.
  • £7.50 for a download :shock: As the old saying goes..'at least censored Turpin wore a mask!' Mind you, you could say the same of digital books although the VAT on them accounts for some of the price discrepancy with paper ones.
  • I used to do a a lot of sailing and its the same with events in that. In the races i did you would see the photos at the prize givign evening and they were around the £25 mark, all printed out on the table and the pile of photos at the end of the night went in the bin every year, so few bought them. My dad was in a sailing regatta a couple of years ago and there was a guy taking pictures Not in an official capactiy but he was a pro photographer. The wiind died and about 4 classic yachts all drifted into one another, no damage and was quite funny and it made a good photo. Dads boat was called tangle and it was caught up amongst the mess and it made a good shot especially as it was the smallest boat and you could clearly see the name. He contacted the guy and said can I have a copy of any picture you took I will pay your costs (he was only on a day out not working as a photographer) he sent through about 20 proofs and wated £75 per picture. My dad said I think not dont bother. Next month it was a double spread photo in Classic yachts magazine. Bought the magazine £3.00 result. I had to email the guy to say "thanks"
  • Pross wrote:
    EDIT Forgot to allow for however much you have to pay the organiser to be an official photographer but still would have thought it offers a pretty good return.

    Try living off that - it won't last long and 1,500 rider events happen two or three times a year. Definitely not something you can live off. There are plenty of things you need including a couple of days editing and cropping, sorting, filtering etc and before you know it ,you've spent five days on one event.
  • izzaizza Posts: 1,561

    You can tell easily that I am right - because it doesn't happen. If it was wanted and made economic sense, then someone would have done it. The fact that nobody has, shows its not economic.

    As stated in my original post some events I've entered have done it. Therefore unequivocally under your burden of proof arrangements I am right. You were correct on one issue - it was, as you say, easy to prove I'm right. I merely read my first post.
  • izza wrote:
    As stated in my original post some events I've entered have done it. Therefore unequivocally under your burden of proof arrangements I am right. You were correct on one issue - it was, as you say, easy to prove I'm right. I merely read my first post.

    Some events have done it - certainly. Enough for folks to work out that it isn't worth doing again. And I'd guess that no event has repeated the offer more than once. One persons experience doesn't make a pattern. And judging by the fact that no large events are currently offering the facility, they have worked out it doesn't work as well.
  • Pross wrote:
    EDIT Forgot to allow for however much you have to pay the organiser to be an official photographer but still would have thought it offers a pretty good return.

    Try living off that - it won't last long and 1,500 rider events happen two or three times a year. Definitely not something you can live off. There are plenty of things you need including a couple of days editing and cropping, sorting, filtering etc and before you know it ,you've spent five days on one event.


    So we're saying that you can't make a living off sportive photography? Wow.. never would have seen that coming :roll:
  • VelonutterVelonutter Posts: 4,749 Lives Here
    As an ex Semi Pro Photographer, here's my take on it: -

    2 Nikon D3 Bodies, say £3500 each
    Couple of f200-300 Fast Lenses, minimum of £1000-1500
    Annual Servicing Say £300 Per Camera and £150 Per lens
    Car, Insurance, Tax, Petrol
    Wages
    If a long journey then overnight accommodation
    PAYE on your earnings
    PLI Insurance, £1500/Year

    Plus all the usual trimmings such as premises, web design etc.

    And you might if you are lucky make £500-£1500 per sportive.

    If you did 20 a year then you'd be lucky to pay yourself £10K a year after you have paid out everything, pretty pathetic wage if you ask me.

    Yeah they seem expensive, my Son In Law and I paid £49 for the complete set on CD from our Wild Wales Ride, not too bad when you think of it and the quality is superb.
Sign In or Register to comment.