Full fingered gloves for long fingers

vrooze
vrooze Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Hey Guys (and gals),

First time poster and I've taken a look at the search and can't locate any information so figured this is the best place to post.

It's probably best to start of with a few facts. I'm a 6'2 beefy bloke who's recently bought a bike to try and regain some fitness level.

With the cold weather approaching I'm looking to get some gloves but I'm unsure of what to go for as I have long, thin(ish) hands.
Measuring around my palm is roughly 23cm (~9 inches) and its the same from palm to middle finger tip. However, my middle finger is 9cm long (3.5 inches).

Now in normal gloves I've always had to buy the largest size and still end up with the 'webbed' finger feel as the fingers are not long enough. I've had a look at a few brands of gloves and 661 reckons I'm a Medium; I've never worn a medium glove as long as I can remember so that verdict fills me with doubt.

Can anyone recommend a full fingered glove or brand that will fit my freaky hands?

I'd rather avoid half finger gloves as riding into the wind will with any finger showing in winter isn't comfortable.

Comments

• I've tried all sorts of winter gloves including 'waterproof' and the ones I get on with the best, even in wet and cold conditions are also the cheapest

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-dura-cycling-gloves/
  • Seal Skinz if you want thermal arctic types and if more lightweight, the Goretex windstoppers are good as they have quite a long cuff which may help with your hand length.
  • Thanks Guys.

The type I think I was looking at is the waterproof, breathable type things as it rains a fair bit where I live so want to avoid wet hands when cycling.

Seal Skinz look fairly decent. How are they on finger length?
  • I have pretty big hands and long fingers, slender fingers. (long line of musicians in the family :lol:)

But I'm not a great believer in full-finger gloves myself; I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'm sceptical that there's a pair out there that's particularly good for maximum dexterity with sufficient winter warmth, that's actually affordable and worth the price. (to me; I don't want to pay £50 as it is, but definitely not if they aren't absolutely perfect!)

This is my chief annoyance with winter gloves. I wouldn't wear them if my digits didn't get frozen off. I therefore use a pair of £3 Thinsulate fleece gloves from the market, over my mitts. Works a treat. :)
  • I have pretty big hands and long fingers, slender fingers. (long line of musicians in the family :lol:)

Heh, I think I may have a similar lineage.

I popped into halfords (erk!) on the way home as it's the _only_ cycle store near me where I could try gloves on.

Ended up buying some XL Seal Skinz thermel esc thing that seemed to find my fingers (bit larger than I'd like around the palm though). But at least they have a velcro strap thing around the wrist to stop em falling off.

Irony is 661 said I was a medium. Tried a medium SS on and the finger webbing was in the middle of my main knuckle and midding knuckle, about 2cm too short :(.

I'll post back when I try them and let you know if they work well.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Bit late, I suppose, but Sealskinz are absolute rubbish for keeping hands either warm or dry; most useless gloves I have ever bought or used.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    vrooze wrote:
    Hey Guys (and gals),
    It's probably best to start of with a few facts. I'm a 6'2 beefy bloke who's recently bought a bike to try and regain some fitness level.

With the cold weather approaching I'm looking to get some gloves but I'm unsure of what to go for as I have long, thin(ish) hands.

I'm a 6-4 (not so beefy bloke) who has been cycling for more years than I care to remember .... who also has long thinish hands. In fact having just got my ruler out I measured the length (no not that!) of my index finger to base of my thumb as 16cm.

The problem is when riding on the hoods if your gloves fingers are to short you cannot nestle the hoods comfortably. To date I have used wool gloves (tend to stretch) with short mitten over the top to protect the wool palms.

If you find anything that works for you please let me know as I have been waiting a long time.

Cheers

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Bit late, I suppose, but Sealskinz are absolute rubbish for keeping hands either warm or dry; most useless gloves I have ever bought or used.

Strange, they are the warmest, most comfortable cold weather gloves I've ever had. Admittedly they do get a bit sweaty on the inside after a few hours but its a warm sticky sweat and not freezing cold sweat. First pair lasted two years of winters and I now relegated them to Autumn with the newer extreme versions for last winter.
  • Admittedly they do get a bit sweaty on the inside after a few hours but its a warm sticky sweat and not freezing cold sweat. First pair lasted two years of winters and I now relegated them to Autumn with the newer extreme versions for last winter.

That's just what I was about to post! :P

Just took them out for (somewhat) casual 10km ride and they were comfy and warm (though they did make the controls feel a bit odd due to padding). The only issue was when I came to take them off. The lining was stuck to my hands, but like what you said, it was warm sweat rather than cold sticky stuff.

Not sure if they were worth the £35 halfords charged me but at least my hands were warm today!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I have Gore Alp gloves and they have done me really well. Very happy with them.
  • Anyone have any luck?
    I'm a pretty large guy @ 6'9" and my hands come in at 22cm around the knuckles and in length... So the problem for me with long fingered gloves is that they aren't just short, they're waaaay to short.