Short Travel Full Sus Recommendations???

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    All the trail centres Ive ridden have just seemed like big bmx tracks. Fairly smooth, not very steep, lots of little jumps and bumps with short uphills and downhills.

I honestly cant see why you think you need 150mm of travel on the front of your bike?

Although perhaps I havent ridden the same trail centres as you (I cant imagine they differ vastly though)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    styxd wrote:
    All the trail centres Ive ridden have just seemed like big bmx tracks. Fairly smooth, not very steep, lots of little jumps and bumps with short uphills and downhills.

I honestly cant see why you think you need 150mm of travel on the front of your bike?

Although perhaps I havent ridden the same trail centres as you (I cant imagine they differ vastly though)

where have you ridden out of interest?

and no i don't need 150mm of travel, but i like it...much more than when i rode with 100mm...back to the point i was disagreeing with..you said they're not fun...they are.

*sorry OP i've just realised we've hijacked the last page :oops:
  • styxd
    Ive ridden quite a few, from what I remember:

Glentress
    Innerleithen (xc and downhill)
    Whinlatter
    Grizedale
    Lee Quarry
    Mabie Forest
    AE Forest (xc only)
    Hamsterley (downhill tracks only)
    Coed y Brenin (just The Beast trail)
    Llangdegla

From what I remember, the only tracks I would have preferred more travel on the front was the Inners downhill tracks (and possibly the hamsterly one, but its so short and not to rough so its fine on a hardtail)

All the others were perfect. 100mm (or there abouts) means you can make the most of all the jumps and bumps rather than battling with loads of sag and travel.

Rigid would be fine on them, although definitely a degree slower than sus forks!
  • welshkev
    styxd wrote:

Glentress
    Whinlatter
    Grizedale
    Lee Quarry
    Mabie Forest
    AE Forest (xc only)
    Llangdegla

From what I remember, the only tracks I would have preferred more travel on the front was the Inners downhill tracks (and possibly the hamsterly one, but its so short and not to rough so its fine on a hardtail)

All the others were perfect. 100mm (or there abouts) means you can make the most of all the jumps and bumps rather than battling with loads of sag and travel.

Rigid would be fine on them, although definitely a degree slower than sus forks!

then we'll agree to disagree, because there's no way i'd want to ride those on a 100mm travel hardtail. yes they're all doable (as you've proved) but i like going fast and smooth, not fast and rattled :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    styxd wrote:
    I honestly cant see why you think you need 150mm of travel on the front of your bike?)

People probably don't need the 150mm at a typical UK trail centre but they may feel like they want 150mm of travel.

People have different skill levels and get enjoyment in different ways. As long as people are happy with what and how they ride then it doesn't bother me.
  • styxd
    welshkev wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Glentress
    Whinlatter
    Grizedale
    Lee Quarry
    Mabie Forest
    AE Forest (xc only)
    Llangdegla

then we'll agree to disagree, because there's no way i'd want to ride those on a 100mm travel hardtail. yes they're all doable (as you've proved) but i like going fast and smooth, not fast and rattled :lol:

Well, I think the best way is to ride smoothly and get fitter rather than relying on alot of (unnessecary) travel. I think shorter travel (or rigid!) makes riding smoother easier. Your bike responds better to your input hence its more manouverable.

I find alot of travel helps on very long descents where you become tired and you end up getting sloppy with your riding. Not really relevant at trail centres though!
  • welshkev
    styxd wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Glentress
    Whinlatter
    Grizedale
    Lee Quarry
    Mabie Forest
    AE Forest (xc only)
    Llangdegla

Well, I think the best way is to ride smoothly and get fitter rather than relying on alot of (unnessecary) travel. I think shorter travel (or rigid!) makes riding smoother easier. Your bike responds better to your input hence its more manouverable.

I find alot of travel helps on very long descents where you become tired and you end up getting sloppy with your riding. Not really relevant at trail centres though!

again, i disagree with you. but hey ho, this could go on for ever :lol: i've never had worse arm pump than riding the final descents at cwmcarn on a 100mm travel hardtail...i'm not a great climber, so i like going flat out on the descents, 100mm travel didn't feel enough for me. but i've also ridden cwmcarn on a fully rigid bike with v brakes..i still prefer my cove with 150mm travel :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I must say that while I've never thought having only 100mm holds me back, I do want to go to 120mm on the front just so I can run it a little softer without diving through too much travel (with the effect on Geo) when pointing downhill, it's more to do with keeping the front end up than having more travel as such!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You have Loads of choices.. Spec - for - money though there is a few that stand out..

Giant Anthem - http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p3494

Ghost AMR - http://www.justmountainbikes.co.uk/prod ... BLACK.html ( what I have and LOVE it )

Lapierre x-flow - http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... n=SHOPPING
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    You have Loads of choices.. Spec - for - money though there is a few that stand out..

Ghost AMR - http://www.justmountainbikes.co.uk/prod ... BLACK.html ( what I have and LOVE it )

Those are all xc oriented bikes though - the OP is looking for a "gnarcore" tough 100mm full suss bike not a wimpy flacid little xc bike! :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rushmore wrote:
    You have Loads of choices.. Spec - for - money though there is a few that stand out..

Those are all xc oriented bikes though - the OP is looking for a "gnarcore" tough 100mm full suss bike not a wimpy flacid little xc bike! :lol:

Oh right..... Well good luck to him then... Sounds like an idiot
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Rushmore wrote:

And that's why I suggested the Transition Double :?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Rockrider 9.2 ;)

Actually though, the 2013 looks mint 120mm back end 130mm Sektors and X7 Sturdy little things too, the chap I was talking to at decthlon uses one for downhilling at style cop.

Maybe a bit xc geo wise but with the slightly longer fork you're looking at a 69.5ish HA, I love my 9.1, but the new 9.1 looks loads better.

zoom_asset_72468092.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • welshkev
    don't NS do a version of the soda in 100mm of travel? but i think it's single speed :lol:
  • jairaj
    TBH from the OP's description it doesn't actually sound like he needs something particularly strong.

From what I understand He doesn't intend on doing big jumps and drops etc just riding fast and hard at UK trail centres

Any mountain bike that's not a super lightweight race bike should be more than strong enough.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Giant Anthem X4, top bike, 2011 models getting good discounts at the mo.
  • welshkev
    jairaj wrote:
    TBH from the OP's description it doesn't actually sound like he needs something particularly strong.

From what I understand He doesn't intend on doing big jumps and drops etc just riding fast and hard at UK trail centres

Any mountain bike that's not a super lightweight race bike should be more than strong enough.

that's exactly what i said 2 pages ago :lol: but he says they look too weak
    TownyDC wrote:
    Giant Anthem X4, top bike, 2011 models getting good discounts at the mo.

he thinks the top tube looks too weak
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    How about an Anthem with gaffer tape wrapped round the tubes for extra strength?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jairaj
    welshkev wrote:
    that's exactly what i said 2 pages ago :lol: but he says they look too weak

Well then I recommend some demo rides to realise some of the "weak" bikes are actually plenty strong enough for his use. They are mountain bikes not road bikes with suspension.
  • Great forums aren't they....ask for some advice, get some genuinely helpful responses (thanks for those!!!) then people insulting your assumed ability/knowledge/the fact that you ride trail centres etc. I'll look forward to passing the latter on the climbs and when I'm coming down :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How tough do you want it to be? As has been mentioned, many 4 inch travel XC bikes will be tough enough for the riding you have described. There are harder hitting, slacker machines if you need them though. As I mentioned earlier, the GT Distortion:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m1b1s194p ... S_GB/26235
  • jesper98 wrote:
    Great forums aren't they....ask for some advice, get some genuinely helpful responses (thanks for those!!!) then people insulting your assumed ability/knowledge/the fact that you ride trail centres etc. I'll look forward to passing the latter on the climbs and when I'm coming down :lol:

There is nothing wrong with riding trail centres - I don't understand people who only ride trail centres though - missing a world of great riding.

To be fair I think your being a fool if you think most xc oriented 100mm travel full sussers cant take the abuse you are meating out on them - if you dont do big jumps there is a limit to what you can do to a bike just by riding a bit quickly.

As various people have thrown out a variety of suggestions from the Double at one end to the Anthem at the other what are you thinking Jesper - any of those shake your tree?

I bought my Heckler 2nd hand as it was a tough but still xc oriented bike with 100mm of travel (its 2001) and its served me well - definitely tough but still pedallable. I can appreciate what you are looking for and its a target audience that I think is missed in many bike ranges - short travel but burly - seems to be slopestyle/DJ territory only so a bit useless for trail.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    jesper98 wrote:
    Great forums aren't they....ask for some advice, get some genuinely helpful responses (thanks for those!!!) then people insulting your assumed ability/knowledge/the fact that you ride trail centres etc. I'll look forward to passing the latter on the climbs and when I'm coming down :lol:

If you're referring to me in the latter group, I have absolutely no doubt you will pass me on the climbs, as for the descents, I'll race ya ;)
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Spech camber expert
  • Trance is excellent for trail centre stuff, the reign is way over the top. The trance climbs extremely well and takes a beating. Long travel hardtails are more fun than anything though. I have had a reign and trance but my on one hardtail is much more fun than either.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pivot Mach.....120mm front, 100mm rear, tried one today at the cycle show, tough yet felt like an HT just without the bumps, as soon as I've sold a kidney I'm getting one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks again for all your responses!! The Pivot Mach 4 looks like what I'm after but they're so bloody expensive!! The Orange ST4 looks likes nice but I can't seem to find any. I've also looked at the Commencal Super 4 1 and the Vitus Blitz 1. Are there any similiar bikes out there to the Mach 4, but cheaper?
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    If you like the way the Giant handles but the Reign is too much bike then the Trance (or even Anthem) is really the obvious choice. The Trance will take a lot more abuse that you might think and will certainly cope with anything you'd find at a UK trail centre. Why not buy a second hand Trance and play with it for a while? That should help you get a better Idea of what you really want and you won't lose much (if anything) when you sell it.

Actually, if you fancy a 2012 in large, drop me a line :D

Cheers

Andy
  • Just a quick update: Bought the Vitus Blitz 1 today from £1,675 (original price) down to £1,049 (sale price but sold out) down to £875 for a cosmetic damaged one - what a bobby bargain!!