Which Shoes are best for Flat Pedals

bleasy
bleasy Posts: 98
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone was wondering which shoes would be best for flat pedals plan on riding at trail centres, any help is most welcome

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5:10s
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup 5-10's
  • They were the the ones i was thinking about any specific ones
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Freeriders or impacts seem to be the most used. Had both, prefer the freeriders due to less bulk, although the impacts may offer a bit better splash protection cause of material type.
    Oh, there's also karvers which have a flap over th laces for even better splash protection.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I like my Teva Links a lot.
  • ouch those five tens are dear. Any cheap ones out there? Or cheaper alternatives?
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    Ive got the sam hill 5.10 got a bargain off ebay
  • Looked at forums and 5 10's get a mixed review. I was looking at some waterproof walking shoes at sports direct i was wonderinf if they would do?
  • You can ride in anything - skate shoes, trainers, walking shoes - if you want a good contact patch however over rough ground you need 5:10's, Teva Links (supposed to have some hydrophilic compound in them to make them water repellent), a decent pair of skate shoes and pedals will do the job too.

Walking boots generally do not make a decent enough contact point with a flat shoe due to the nature of the sole (harder rubber, lots of ridges rather than small dimples/undulations).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Shimano AM41s. They don't soak up the water, and while they have not got the 5-10 sole they are pretty grippy. The reason I got them, though, was that the 5-10s were the wrong shape for my feet so they were not comfortable. The AM41s are great - and I'd buy another pair without hesitation.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I know people who have them - decent grip, not as much as 510's, some like that, as I say earlier - supposed to be water repelling, definitely not as bulky as 510's and probably dont act like a giant sponge on your foot.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    Using 5:10's Danny Macs on my DH. Totally amazing....like being clipped in.

Consider the boot versions as they will give a little petition to ankles.

Be careful if you buy the monster sole versions (cant remember name)...as they are so wide they may catch chainstays.
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    ouch those five tens are dear. Any cheap ones out there? Or cheaper alternatives?
    For those on a budget, try your local TK Max for a pair of Vans or any other skate shoes they may have in stock. Probably set you back no more than £30. Not as grippy as 5: 10s but grippier than trainers or walking shoes IMO. I find walking shoes slide off too easily due to the very open tread pattern.

Are the Teva shoes waterproof? Would love a pair of shoes with more water resistance...

EDIT: another option worth a look is the 661 Filter http://www.globalbike.co.uk/products/66 ... fAodGSAAmw

Can be had in flat and SPD compatible versions. They're much stiffer than a standard skate shoe, and are something you could wear to the pub after the ride without being too embarrassed :wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    'Waterproof' seems to be a very relative term for cycling shoes. IME, AM41s keep water at bay for longer, but once it gets in they soak it up like a sponge and take days to dry out. Teva Links let water in more easily, but don't soak it up as much and hence dry much more quickly, usually overnight. Not tried 5.10s myself, but a friend has had Freeriders and Impacts and now swears by Guide Tennies.
  • Does anyone know anything about Adio Laser 2 skate shoes. I was wondering if they would be ok on Amazon for £10 should be £50
  • Nobody got any opintions about the adio laser 2 ive found on amazon
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    For a tenner what have you got to lose?
  • DodgeT
    A tenner?

Airbags as a bonus :)
  • DodgeT
    I also have a pair of these which I originally bought for the bike, but am still using them as knockabouts for the minute as they're too nice to get sh1tty just yet http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50686 a lot less bulk/padding to get wet and they are nice and grippy and have a really stiff sole. Good for bouldering too.
  • 2 pairs od Adio Laser 2 skate shoes bought off Amazon for £20 got 2 cause i liked both colours didnt think i could go wrong with them, if there no good what have i lost