7sp to 9 sp conversion!?

tmsjns
tmsjns Posts: 54
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Right the misses recently got a 2011 specialized myka disc, We have already changed the brakes to the hydrolic discs that came on my cube analog disc. now she wants the wheels off my cube too, The Myka is a 7sp and the cube's wheels have a 9sp on them, So to change the cassette Im guessing that im going to need a 9sp shifter and new rear mech, Is there anything else I might need before i take the misses new bike apart!?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it a 7spd cassette?

if yes fit a 4.5mm (7spd spacer) onto your hub and then the cassette.

sorted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are just swapping the wheels in entirety you just need a new shifter, and maybe a new mech, although the old one will work if it has sufficient range.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And a 9 speed chain.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • so shifter mech and chain, I have a chain and mech just need a 9 sp shifter, Anyone got a decent one laying about?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You only need a mech if the current one hasn't got the range, my daughter runs a 7 speed Alivio on 9 just fine, although if you have a better one anyway.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Measure the frame between the dropouts to ensure you can get the 9spd wheel in. If it is only spaced to take 7spd, then 8/9spd MTB is longer.