Superman or hidden away: tights and shorts

CJ Bill
CJ Bill Posts: 415
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
With the mornings getting colder I've already had a few days of wearing tights. I have a couple of pairs of unpadded tights for autumnal use that I wear with old padded shorts and I've always put the shorts over the tights. However, getting changed at work last week one of the other cyclists there was putting his shorts on then tights.

So out of a spirit of idle curiosity which way you go about layering?

Comments

• Shorts first, then tights - that way you actually get the benefit of the pad.
  • CJ Bill
    Shorts first, then tights - that way you actually get the benefit of the pad.

Good point!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have two pairs of padded bib tights.

Even on the -7 degree mornings, I've never felt the need for more than one layer on my legs; but if I were layering unpadded tights and padded shorts, it might depend on which I had more pairs of. If I only had one pair of tights, I'd definitely put them on the outside so I didn't need to worry about washing them as often.

Other than that, I've never really thought about it, so don't really know what I'd do. =)

An advantage of tights over the top is that it's easier to take them off if you decide you're too warm, I reckon.

Could try leg warmers instead (which would go under the shorts).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I actually 'won' my padded tights in a race. Love them. Don't know how I coped before. Oh yes, running tights over shorts.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I only have a single pair of padded tights, so if they're in the wash I just use a pair of shorts + a set of knee/leg warmers. Never thought of trying to do any more layering than that... the tights are warm enough as it is!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry...am I understanding the question correctly?

1) Shorts UNDER tights??? Have you seen what a toddler wearing a nappy under tights looks like?? Scale this up to six foot.....

2) Shorts OVER tights???? It's not Superman that is coming to mind, more one of those creepy guys that live in their mother's basement and attend a lot of conventions.

You may wear EITHER shorts or tights.
    If wearing shorts you may also wear undergarments.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Since it's commuting, none of the above since I use el cheapo work trousers that dry in no time.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SimonAH wrote:
    Sorry...am I understanding the question correctly?

1) Shorts UNDER tights??? Have you seen what a toddler wearing a nappy under tights looks like?? Scale this up to six foot.....

2) Shorts OVER tights???? It's not Superman that is coming to mind, more one of those creepy guys that live in their mother's basement and attend a lot of conventions.

I'm making the assumption that only the tights OR the shorts have a pad.

Padded bib shorts with unpadded tights is the way forward.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I go for the Spider-man look:

news-symbiote-2.jpg

tights over or under shorts restricts the thighs.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I go for the Spider-man look:

news-symbiote-2.jpg

tights over or under shorts restricts the thighs.

Tee hee, spoderman has a stiffy!

• Tights over padded bib shorts.
    But I've also got a pair of unpadded bib tights. What to wear under these? Bib longs over bib shorts seems silly, and normal shorts would defeat the purpose of having bibs.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Tights under shorts means that you need to wash both every day. Tights over shorts means you can keep the tights going for longer. Also makes sense given that you probably also have more shorts than tights.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • CJ Bill
    SimonAH wrote:
    Undergarments? Undergarments!? My girlfriend wears undergarments under her cycling shorts on a monthly basis, a gentleman goes commando, period (or lack of).

On reason tights and shorts is good for me is that I have a couple of pairs of old shorts (Endura MT500s) that are unsuitable for wear on their own due to wear and tear, but still have good padding in them.
  • SimonAH
    Aha, in this context I was referring to baggies...