Recommend me a city

2»

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Agree about 2 weeks in one city. I did a tour of some Spanish cities, Grenada, Seville, you could also add Cordova, Toledo, Salamanca and Madrid.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    No, not been there , St Croix was the nearest i've been out that way, but that is a US 'protectorate'-- the eastern Caribbean looks very interesting on many levels, life is too short................

By a pleasant bit of circumstance it looks like I will be spending good part of the next few months in the Eastern Caribbean doing a bit of work...
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Vancouver. My favorite city in the world. Clean, friendly, safe, amazing standard of living and incredible scenery from any viewpoint. One of the few cities in the world I'd up sticks and move to tomorrow if I could.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    y33stu wrote:
    Vancouver. My favorite city in the world. Clean, friendly, safe, amazing standard of living and incredible scenery from any viewpoint. One of the few cities in the world I'd up sticks and move to tomorrow if I could.

+1 for that. Stanley park, Gastown, Granville Island, Vancouver Island, Grouse Mountain etc etc etc
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Vienna.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    johnfinch wrote:
    Vienna.
    Means nothing to me.

Bergamo is nice, but it's a little spoiled by its airport, which is a toilet with a greenhouse on top.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Bergamo is nice, but it's a little spoiled by its airport, which is a toilet with a greenhouse on top.
    Fair enough, but I didn't hang around the airport. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dsoutar wrote:
    y33stu wrote:

+1 for that. Stanley park, Gastown, Granville Island, Vancouver Island, Grouse Mountain etc etc etc
    Rains a lot. A LOT.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    johnfinch wrote:
    Vienna.
    Oh Vienna!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Prague.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Munich and Kuala Lumpur are probably the two most interesting cities i've been to.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    Barcelona. No city like it.
    Aix Les Bains, not a city but stunning area.
    San Sebastian for great cycling. Beautiful old town and great food. Great cycling in Gernika too, hills galore, smooth roads so little traffic.
    Stockholm. So clean. Hundreds of Islands - book one for a day and get delivered/collected by boat. Damn expensive. Real Dublin Guinness at the Limmerick pub, Sodermalmsgaten.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Hows about Newport, its propper tidy like, an its a city :D
  • Bangor City-- also no city like it !
  • Cape Town and surrounds.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    y33stu wrote:

Just make sure the Canucks haven't lost in the play offs first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHYSD7k ... ature=plcp

Does it have to be a city? I spent a week on the side of Lake Garda earlier this year and highly recommend it. mind you though you'll wish you'd taken the bike.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Some great suggestions here. Lots of votes for Munich.
  • Well I am finding Dubai great. Clean very very clean. Wouldn't like to ride a bike on the road, they are maniacs but some how very tolerant of each others driving.
    Daytime temp is in the low 40s deg C
    Did the desert safari yesterday had a maniac driver on that too. There are great bars particlarly liking the Belgian Beer Cafe. Food is good, crime is not a worry. Taxis are clean efficiant reasonably priced and safe.
    Everyone gets on, no gangs or other nefarious groups, I think they have a chil catcher.

I am here staying with a mate so getting to use time productively.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    dsoutar wrote:
    y33stu wrote:

Rains a lot. A LOT.

Yeah It rains. But I'm from Newcastle, so I'm used to it! At least it doesn't get the seasonal extremes like Eastern Canada.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • On Port Au Prince - my younger brother visited once as he was trying to win back a woman that was living out there - on his way to the hotel he was confronted by a guy with a machete who walked towards him in the street shouting "why do you kill black people in Africa" at him . On reaching the hotel he was told he was mad to walk about and should always take a taxi door to door for his own safety. Maybe I'm just too conservative but it did kind of put me off it as a holiday destination.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Sure its no bed of roses, but as your brother will testify, he lived to tell the tale, machetes' are a farm tool in the caribbean, you see many people carrying them, more to the point did he woo the woman back?
  • Munich, clean, pretty, good beer, good scenery, nice people. Or New York, if you like choking to death on smog, rude people, over-priced/bland food + 24 hour noise!!
  • Sure its no bed of roses, but as your brother will testify, he lived to tell the tale, machetes' are a farm tool in the caribbean, you see many people carrying them, more to the point did he woo the woman back?

Yes but it all ended in tears eventually when she came home early and caught him in bed with her sister - she never forgave him - which given some of the stunts she'd pulled I thought was harsh.

• this sounds like a great yarn don't stop there, if you say that she pulled stunts way bigger than that please continue!
  • Haha, nothing particularly exciting, she'd come over here, they'd live together, they'd break up, he'd hear she was living in god knows what country and about to marry some other man, he'd go off and they'd get back together for another year and so it went. She did 2 time him at one point when he was starting off as a journalist so on no money and trying to support her and her kid too which I thought was a bit out of order but apart from that she was OK - did a good job with her son from what I heard.