knee support

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
hiall, i basically suffer from knee pain after most tough rides and i now thinking that a bit of support/compression would be worth a try. any recomendations for a decent cycling friendy support? cheers, chris

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Go see a physio.
    A cycling physio like Martin Early could be best.
    I've done a bit of research and never heard of of support / compression working, but I'm no expert.
    Could be: Saddle height, IT Bands, Glutes, shoes/cleats, difference in leg length or many other things.
  • tbh im already leaning towards it being sadle height. im a bit of a bugger for taking a compromise position with the saddle to save having to keep stopping and putting it up/down. i know this is my fault and im trying to break the habit. just wondered about the knee support but sounds like its not worth it then? suppose the best thing to do is ride correctly and see if the problem goes.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I used to get really bad pain in my right knee, to the point where it hurt to walk and even just lie in bed for days after riding.
    I spent a lot on physio, who to be honest didn't do much more for me than tell me what exercises to do which i'd already found by googling, but it did sort my knee out.
    Stopped doing the exercises cause knee was fine, but now am getting it in the left knee, so need to start the exercises again :)
    Of course, without seeing a doc / physio you may or may not be on the right lines for self diagnosis so best really to check so as you do get the right exercises / treatment.
    For my pain, the compression supports didn't help at all.
  • I had similar problem with knee pain, don't know where you are based, but I went to Cyclefit in London to get checked out, they have a physio there (Morgan), took a look and diagnosed the underlying problem recommended exercises and adjusted cleats, saddle height etc. Excellent results, from not being able to go more than three miles without pain I have now built up to 50 miles and no pain now. Thoroughly recommend if London is a possibility...if not I agree with previous posts, try to find a cycle specific physio.
    Good luck
    FCN 5