Triban 3 gears setup/adjustment

Oldnoob
Oldnoob Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone.

Following much research in the cycling forums I just bought a Triban 3 by mail order (nearest store 120+ miles away).
It's a lovely bike, but I have a couple of questions regarding gears set up/adjustment.

1/ On the right hand bar (rear gearset), you go up a gear using the thumb lever, and down using the brake lever side motion, but on the left bar (front gearset) you go up a gear with the brake lever side movement, and down a gear with the thumb lever. Has this been set up correctly? It seems a confusing way of doing it.

2/ In several of the gear positions the bike keeps changing gear/slipping gear which is very disconcerting, and could possibly be dangerous as it makes the pedals slip too. The whole chain/gear setup seems to be quite noisy too. I have only ridden a few miles on the bike. Will the gears settle down, or do they need to be adjusted, and if so, is it something a not-very-practical noob can do or should I take it to a shop? If I should be able to do it, can someone point me in the direction of a good instructional video or website that explains the procedure?

Many thanks for any advice given.

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Hi, and welcome :)

Some quick answers.

1. This is correct, my Giant is exactly the same, though it is different to previous systems I've had and I still go the wrong way sometimes while I get used to it.

2. The gears won't settle down, it sounds like they need adjustment. I found a great video that explains it very well here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqrhFzW8s0

Good luck and have fun!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • The advice from Mikey is spot-on. Your set-up is fine. You need practice in going up and down your gears smoothly.
    Adjusting gears is simple. Learn how to do it because your gears will continually need fettling. A slight turn of a barrel adjuster or derailleur screw every so often will keep your bike performing sweetly. It's worth studying the video and taking notes as you progress through repairs. It can be expensive and time-consuming to continually return to the bike shop for small jobs. And the more you pick up the more engaging your new hobby will become.
  • Thanks Mikey and Woody for your replies. Much appreciated.

I will study the video and give it my best shot.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Oldnoob wrote:
    Hi everyone.

Following much research in the cycling forums I just bought a Triban 3 by mail order (nearest store 120+ miles away).
    It's a lovely bike, but I have a couple of questions regarding gears set up/adjustment.

1/ On the right hand bar (rear gearset), you go up a gear using the thumb lever, and down using the brake lever side motion, but on the left bar (front gearset) you go up a gear with the brake lever side movement, and down a gear with the thumb lever. Has this been set up correctly? It seems a confusing way of doing it.

Nearly all* bicycle derailleurs are like this; the old down-tube friction shifters were the same - pull down the left one to go up, pull down the right one to go down. Increasing the tension (i.e. the brake lever on the Triban's STIs) always puts the chain on a bigger cog. Bigger at back means lower gear; bigger on front means higher gear. You get used to it.

*"low normal" rear derailleurs do exist, but you're unlikely to encounter them