New

glitzygirl
glitzygirl Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
So I decided about a month ago to do something about my fitness and for some reason got obsessed that I had to take up cycling. That's what I did! I got myself a new road bike, basic, enough to get me started, had a limited budget and I'm glad I didn't spend much because all the added gear etc, has cost me a fortune.
I've joined the local cycling club that does spins every sunday. however I go out on my own 2-3 times a week. I live in the country, and I do a route that is nearly 8 miles long. I had not been on a bike for over 10 years, I'm about 10kg over weight, I am a woman and barely 5ft. Needless to say the first time I went out, I literally nearly died, I actually got sick afterwards, due to my stupidity of not knowing how to use gears! I stuck to the same gears going up or down, it's quite hilly here, lots of rises and descents.
After about 3 weeks, I'm doing my 8 miles in about 40 minutes, stopping for a drink once, at a hill that I don't think I will ever be able to climb, my bike just comes to a stand still even though I gain speed before it, to try and get as far as I can. According an app I have on the phone, there are as many ascends than there descends, it's quite hilly with only about 2-3 sections that are flat. My app says average speed of 9.23 mph, uphill 6364 and downhill -6315.
Last night I went out, and was delighted to go up one of the last hills on gear 3 (which is what I use to go straight) and not feel my legs burning. That's my problem at the moment, out of breath and legs burn like hell, most of the time, you could fry an egg on them they burn so much sometimes. I'll keep on doing this route for a while, mind you daylight is going to be a problem, so I'd say I only have a couple of weeks left to be able to go out during the week, mainly due to the fact that I work till 6pm.
I'm just waiting for the pain to ease, legs mainly and my breathing to improve. My backside isn't too bad. Last night though I tossed and turned in bed and every movement was painful it actually woke me up everytime. So I am quite sore even after my first few weeks. I'm enjoying it but can't wait for it to be a bit less painful!

Comments

• Allo

Were you fitted for your bike?
  • yes I was, in fact the seat tube had to be cut (sorry don't have they bike terms yet, whole new language to learn), because it wouldn't go down enough. The handle bar was also moved close to me, as I was far too stretched out, the "shaft?" was changed to a shorter one. My frame is a 48cm frame. I had brakes changed as I didn't like the ones that came with. The guy at the shop has been really good. The seat was also changed as it was a mans seat even though the bike is pink and white. I got a basic foot holder (again really sorry for terminology, feel like an idiot not being able to describe parts of the bike), it just helps with my foot not sliding off, but it's not the one with the strips, works good for me. I've made about 4 or 5 trips to the bike shop for tuning and always went for a quick spin to test any changes, and they guy also checked everything himself and observed while I went up and down the street. I did do my research before buying the bike and decided to buy local so that I could get all the support I needed and changes made.
  • I know what you mean :D You're already further ahead than 99.9% of the newbies who post on forums.

I assume you're in the south? We have a thread linked in my signature with a couple of southern folk around.
  • I saw that, I'll click on it. Yes I am in the south. Boy did I do my research before buying the bike, but I'm already saving up to get a really good one in the next year or so! This is addictive, worst thing is I feel like burning everything I eat, and I like to eat! I'd go out every night if I could, but I wouldn't be able to walk if I did. Can't wait for next summer where I will be fitter and will go out as much as I can. Need to get a home trainer now, refuse for the winter to undo the work I've done so far!
  • glitzygirl wrote:
    I saw that, I'll click on it. Yes I am in the south. Boy did I do my research before buying the bike, but I'm already saving up to get a really good one in the next year or so! This is addictive, worst thing is I feel like burning everything I eat, and I like to eat! I'd go out every night if I could, but I wouldn't be able to walk if I did. Can't wait for next summer where I will be fitter and will go out as much as I can. Need to get a home trainer now, refuse for the winter to undo the work I've done so far!
    Why not keep riding through winter? Decent lights and clothing and it's pretty much like our summer.

You might find that after a particularly hard ride (which sounds like most of them so far) a short casual spin will help with recovery. Plenty of protein in your diet will work wonders too.
  • is it not dangerous? I use a lot of back roads, I'd be afraid of ice (not yet anyway), I'm in Donegal. I would be setting off in the dark, with no daylight whatsoever, actually I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist at night (I mean road cyclist). Maybe didn't notice them before. Safety would be my main concern.
  • glitzygirl wrote:
    is it not dangerous? I use a lot of back roads, I'd be afraid of ice (not yet anyway), I'm in Donegal. I would be setting off in the dark, with no daylight whatsoever, actually I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist at night (I mean road cyclist). Maybe didn't notice them before. Safety would be my main concern.

No more dangerous than cycling in daylight. Decent lights are key on badly lit backroads. You need lights to see with,opposed to lights to be seen with Something like this is a bit of an overkill example but you get the point.

If what little traffic that inhabits Donegal can't see you with lights like above,they shouldn't be driving. :)

ps: what is it you ride?
  • I got a Raleigh Pursuit http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ral ... e-ec028444 (very cheap end of the market). I'm comfortable on it, if I tried a really good bike I'd probably realize that I'm cycling in a crappy bike :lol: It will have to do until I can get a better one and my fitness improves. I didn't even want to try the more expensive ones because I would just set my mind on one, and I'm dangerous that way, when I want something, I'll spend the money I don't have to get it! I mean after all the gear, and the winter gear I ordered the other day, I have to be beyond 600-700 euro, and I've only just started :roll:
    I see what you mean about being able to see rather than being seeing (well obviously both have to happen). Hmmm will have to give it a go and see how I feel cycling at night. What about Ice/frost, I presume that is definitely a no, no, but in the back roads wouldn't you get ice even if there isn't any on the main roads? Gosh the thought of ice terrifies me. I've already fallen once of the bike and ended up with the spikes of the pedal taking a chunk of my calf. Still have terrible bruise and marks.
  • so are those regular torches that you can put on a mount? or are specific for bikes. I have a regular light on the bike as I'm normally caught as the night is falling and for extra safety as well. Lots of lunatics on the country roads here in Donegal. but it wouldn't be good enough to allow me to see properly, it's mainly for others to see me.
  • glitzygirl wrote:
    I got a Raleigh Pursuit http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ral ... e-ec028444 (very cheap end of the market). I'm comfortable on it, if I tried a really good bike I'd probably realize that I'm cycling in a crappy bike :lol: It will have to do until I can get a better one and my fitness improves. I didn't even want to try the more expensive ones because I would just set my mind on one, and I'm dangerous that way, when I want something, I'll spend the money I don't have to get it! I mean after all the gear, and the winter gear I ordered the other day, I have to be beyond 600-700 euro, and I've only just started :roll:
    I see what you mean about being able to see rather than being seeing (well obviously both have to happen). Hmmm will have to give it a go and see how I feel cycling at night. What about Ice/frost, I presume that is definitely a no, no, but in the back roads wouldn't you get ice even if there isn't any on the main roads? Gosh the thought of ice terrifies me. I've already fallen once of the bike and ended up with the spikes of the pedal taking a chunk of my calf. Still have terrible bruise and marks.
    It's always worth being cautious and walking the worst patches of visible ice.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ing-28574/
    http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/ ... -in-winter

The torches are really just torches with universal mounts, but they put out a serious amount of light compared to most cycle specific units. They are multimode so you can have hi-mid-low beams + strobe and SOS modes. Most pics simply don't do them justice though.

dsc0096su.jpg
  • cool, thanks for the pic. I'm going to look for something like that. My fear is that i'll see the ice when I'm over it! hence being too late. I presume it's all part of the learning curve. Stupid question, I presume at night you drive on the same side of the traffic, same as day time? What do you use for the back of the bike, any specific lights? I have flashing red light, a cheap thing I picked up not too long ago, thought i might come in handy some day.
  • glitzygirl wrote:
    cool, thanks for the pic. I'm going to look for something like that. My fear is that i'll see the ice when I'm over it! hence being too late. I presume it's all part of the learning curve. Stupid question, I presume at night you drive on the same side of the traffic, same as day time? What do you use for the back of the bike, any specific lights? I have flashing red light, a cheap thing I picked up not too long ago, thought i might come in handy some day.
    As long as you don't make sudden movements or grab a handful of brake ice is quite safe,I can't lie I expect to fall off at least once between now and spring though :D

I treat the road the same on the bike as if I was in the car,except when using a shared path that goes against traffic on my return route. My rear light is a cateye one, considering a new one though as I do intend to ride through winter.
  • I know what you mean :D You're already further ahead than 99.9% of the newbies who post on forums.

I assume you're in the south? We have a thread linked in my signature with a couple of southern folk around.

Ok I've read and re read glitzygirl's first two posts and I can't work out how you worked out she was from the South :)

Ok I've read and re read glitzygirl's post and I can't work out how you worked out she was from the South :)
    Hover over email icon. .ie address :lol:
  • Ah very good Sherlock! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ah very good Sherlock! :lol:

Yeah, he stalks pretty much all the new girls on here from post number 1 if they are in reach :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Ah very good Sherlock! :lol:

Yeah, he stalks pretty much all the new girls on here from post number 1 if they are in reach :lol:
    Is folamh fuar e teach gan bean. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It sounds like you are doing really well and making a lot of good choices. If you get along to that cycle club you will meet a lot of new cycling buds and it will help you to get through the winter and keep up the progress you have made. Perhaps a shiny new bike as a reward next spring