Is this considerable?

klep
klep Posts: 158
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

After quite some time of roadbiking I'm now looking to buy my first MTB.
I've been looking around for some second hand bikes on Dutch and Belgian sites (Live in Holland) and found something that looked quite good in my eyes.
Problem is: I dont have a clue.

So I'm asking you to help me decide if this offer is even considerable.
Here we go:

Focus LTD
Frame: Focus LTD Large 19,5''
Fork: Pace RC31 Carbon
Headset: FSA
Bars: Syntace Carbon
Stem: FSA OS 100mm
Seatpost: FSA SL-K Carbon
Seatpostclamp: KCNC
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR flow
Crank: Aerozine x12sl 42-30-22
Rear Der: Shimano XT
Front Der: Shimano XTR
Brakes: Shimano Deore diskbrakes + R1 disks 160mm
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Wheels: Mavic X717 disc, tubeless. Rear dt swiss 370 hub, front Specialized Stout hub
QR: Hope Rood
Tires: Michelin XCR MUD 95%
Computer: Cateye wireless
Pedals: SPD
Bottle cages: Elite

Weight: 9,9kg without pedals
Price: €500

Here a little picture, though its pretty vague and the owner says that on the picture its a different fork than the one that comes with the bike.

395877-10150572470849461-1306678403-n.jpg

So my questions are:
What kind of riding is this bike meant for?
How do I know if the size suits me? I'm +/- 1.80m
Is this a reasonable price?

Comments

• Focus Ltd is a xc oriented hardtail, Focus make decent bikes, I have not ridden one of those but there will likely be nothing wrong with the frame. Pace forks are getting a little long in the tooth, now made by DT Swiss and have been for 5+ years so gives you an idea of the age of them. XT/XTR gears good kit, depends on age and wear how long they will last, deore brakes are solid stoppers if not fancy.

Anyway you can go and see it? Swinging a leg over and riding it around the block is the only way to get a feel for fit really and while you are there you can bounce the forks, check the condition of the sliders on them and look at the gears and so on. For riding in holland that would probably be good - €500 might be a bit steep - haggle them down!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a fair price I think, is a very light machine, with some high end parts. But as above, try it out and haggle a bit!

If xc type riding is the riding you plan.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Thanks for your input guys, too bad it's been sold already.
    I'll keep looking then I guess :)