Hows this for progress?

Eternal-Bcb
Eternal-Bcb Posts: 25
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
So I bought my bike about 6 weeks ago and on my first ride averaged 16.3MPH over 20 miles. I've been cycling predominantly over the weekends with the odd ride after work.
This morning I went for my normal loop which includes just shy of 900ft of climbing and achieved 17.8MPH. I was pretty chuffed and felt like I gave it all I good.

My first target was 18MPH average so I feel like this is within reach pretty soon and then I'll move on the 20MPH by spring next year.

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sounds pretty good to me :D

I got a little too hung up on average speeds a while back & it began to diminish my riding enjoyment a little- like I wouldn't go out in wind because I knew I wouldn't be able to match my normal average. Now I just go out & my average will be........ just whatever it will be!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm looking at a personal trend which has seen me go from about 12mph to 14mph average for all rides and all conditions over the last six months. I am very happy with that, I live in a hilly area and I am over 60. Other than that I don't get too hung up on things, just enjoy the moment
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Have you met my friend Strava?
    www.strava.com
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Forget average speeds, other than for planning purposes so you can let the missus know when you will be back (roughly). Some of my best rides have been in stinking wind conditions where I have pushed myself really hard say on a homeward leg into a biting headwind. My average was crap but the workout brilliant!

It's good to have a 'usual loop' default ride, but branch out and start discovering this wonderful country. The joy of cycling is in the freedom to explore lane after lane, get lost, find yourself again and just enjoy the time away from life's trials and tribulations.

My default loop if I can't be bothered to go anywhere else is just 30 miles, into the Peak District, through Macc Forest up a 20+% short climb, then descent along my favourite bit of cycling road - ever so slightly downhill, following a stream with beautiful hills either side, babbling water, stone and wooden bridges, tree lined with partial canopy. If I blast along that bit I am averaging over 22mph and it is just wonderful. If I have a tailwind it is more like 25, if a headwind maybe 20, but the figures don't matter, it's the sheer beauty of it and that fantastic feeling of just flying along. I often come back to this loop but am not in the slightest bit bothered about average speed. Perceived effort is better if you want to see how you did - a hard ride or an easy one? There are so many factors, not just wind. How about wet or dry, cold or hot, first ride in days or 4th day after several hard rides, early morning or late evening, having slept well or slept badly, before a days work or after......all will affect your average times. Sometimes your best rides are not your fastest!

Enjoy. And we'll done so far on your progress. Bear in mind the progress curve is not linear - you will find it increasingly difficult to keep getting better!

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    Forget average speeds, other than for planning purposes so you can let the missus know when you will be back (roughly). Some of my best rides have been in stinking wind conditions where I have pushed myself really hard say on a homeward leg into a biting headwind. My average was crap but the workout brilliant!

It's good to have a 'usual loop' default ride, but branch out and start discovering this wonderful country. The joy of cycling is in the freedom to explore lane after lane, get lost, find yourself again and just enjoy the time away from life's trials and tribulations.

My default loop if I can't be bothered to go anywhere else is just 30 miles, into the Peak District, through Macc Forest up a 20+% short climb, then descent along my favourite bit of cycling road - ever so slightly downhill, following a stream with beautiful hills either side, babbling water, stone and wooden bridges, tree lined with partial canopy. If I blast along that bit I am averaging over 22mph and it is just wonderful. If I have a tailwind it is more like 25, if a headwind maybe 20, but the figures don't matter, it's the sheer beauty of it and that fantastic feeling of just flying along. I often come back to this loop but am not in the slightest bit bothered about average speed. Perceived effort is better if you want to see how you did - a hard ride or an easy one? There are so many factors, not just wind. How about wet or dry, cold or hot, first ride in days or 4th day after several hard rides, early morning or late evening, having slept well or slept badly, before a days work or after......all will affect your average times. Sometimes your best rides are not your fastest!

Enjoy. And we'll done so far on your progress. Bear in mind the progress curve is not linear - you will find it increasingly difficult to keep getting better!

PP

Excellent post Pete! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6