Help with picking a bike...

paulyay
paulyay Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking at getting a bike, it will mainly just be used for 'on-road' tracks, but I'd like it to have the potential to do some slightly more off-road mountain biking as well.

After hearing how good value the rockrider bikes were, I contemplated getting the 5.2, but after some thought decided I liked to look the 5.3 more and wanted the extra features, so decided I'd get that instead.

I've just seen the GT Transeo 3 for the same price as the 5.3 (£300). Can anyone advise which is a better buy, or if there's anything else in the same price area (or less) that's better? I don't really want to spend more than £300, so that's my budget really.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Transeo will be better on the road due to the tyres and lighter weight, but the Rockrider has the better fork and is set up for more off road terrain.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Transeo will be better on the road due to the tyres and lighter weight, but the Rockrider has the better fork and is set up for more off road terrain.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the Transeo has sold out in my size now anyway.. Are any of the bikes which are sub £300 here a better deal than the rockrider? For example the Aggressor 3 for £250?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rockrider is as good as it gets! Damped fork, 27 gears, disc brakes - really good kit for the cash.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Rockrider is as good as it gets! Damped fork, 27 gears, disc brakes - really good kit for the cash.

Cool, thanks again for the advice - suppose I've got the added bonus of getting it from Decathlon and making sure I get the right size.
  • I've seen a few 5.2's on Cannocks red route and they do the job fine. For road just pick good all round tyres and pump them up hard when on the road.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2