Where's Belfast?

13»

Comments

• Do cycling clubs divide on sectarian lines, or are their a mixture of types ?
  • Do cycling clubs divide on sectarian lines, or are their a mixture of types ?
    All clubs are of "everyone welcome" status.
  • tumblr_ma7gzlrQOo1ru1higo2_1280.jpg
  • I was on a cycling forum the other day and some of the people posting couldn't make the distinction between physical geography and political geography. :roll:

Talk about stoopid!
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Do cycling clubs divide on sectarian lines, or are their a mixture of types ?

No.

Though there were a few clubs who affiliated themselves to the NICF/British Cycling Federation, while the majority were affiliated to the Irish Cycling Federation.

I know wikipedia is a bit flawed, but it's a good link to read up on the structure over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_Ireland
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Back to the OP......

I used to go to Stonehenge to watch the sunrise on the solstice.
    I was explaining the significance of this to a lass I went out at the time, to be met with a blank look. So I explained "the sun rises in a different place each day, and this place moves along the horizon...." etc. to be met with more blankness. It turned out that she'd never even noticed that the sun came up in one place (vaguely eastwards) and went down in another (westish). It was just daytime or night-time to her.

A colleague of mine worked once worked with a bloke who asked this as serious question....

"Why isn't our sun as hot as Spain's sun, and why can't we do something about it?"

Please note that he wasn't asking about the climate, he thought that they had a different sun.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Thanks fellas' , seems to be a buoyant road scene in your part of the world, i must come on a mini tour up there sometime . I have a friend who rides with a club in Ballymena, who was inspired to take up cycling after our paths crossed during the 1998 TdF in the wicklows.

He rang me the next xmas asking for any horse tips/fancies, as we did a bit of gambling while in rathdrum, i gave him my 'fancy for the welsh national-- it came in at 20/1- with the winnings he bought his first bike-- now he's a fully fledged addict with a number of mean machines.

So gambling does pay sometimes......
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LiamW wrote:

No.

Though there were a few clubs who affiliated themselves to the NICF/British Cycling Federation, while the majority were affiliated to the Irish Cycling Federation.

I know wikipedia is a bit flawed, but it's a good link to read up on the structure over here.

That Wikipedia article doesn't do justice to the degree of acrimony that surrounded the relationships between the various cycling bodies. Tom Daly's book on the history of the Rás goes into the matter in some detail.

(There's also a documentary on the Rás due to be broadcast this week on TG4. From the trailer on Vimeo, it also seems to cover the issue of the rival organisations)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    benjboy wrote:
    Just up the road lawd. Three days trek in me da's aul D-turbo

He was wrong on two counts though.Belfast isn't in Ireland :roll:
    Belfast NOT in Ireland got that one wrong it is in Ireland .But then you can tell which side you bat for with your nice little flag of Ulster which people in Norn iron use to be bigitit :roll: Nuff said....
    You should take a look at a map and some history before you attempt to post about what countries are where and what cities are known capitals. It would save you embarrassment. By your logic, both Glasgow and Cardiff are in England :lol:

Logic failure there I'm afraid. The same logic would actually be that Glasgow and Cardiff are in Great Britain, which they are.
  • Pross wrote:
    benjboy wrote:
    Just up the road lawd. Three days trek in me da's aul D-turbo

He was wrong on two counts though.Belfast isn't in Ireland :roll:
    Belfast NOT in Ireland got that one wrong it is in Ireland .But then you can tell which side you bat for with your nice little flag of Ulster which people in Norn iron use to be bigitit :roll: Nuff said....
    You should take a look at a map and some history before you attempt to post about what countries are where and what cities are known capitals. It would save you embarrassment. By your logic, both Glasgow and Cardiff are in England :lol:

Logic failure there I'm afraid. The same logic would actually be that Glasgow and Cardiff are in Great Britain, which they are.
    Look again
  • LangerDan wrote:
    LiamW wrote:

No.

That Wikipedia article doesn't do justice to the degree of acrimony that surrounded the relationships between the various cycling bodies. Tom Daly's book on the history of the Rás goes into the matter in some detail.

(There's also a documentary on the Rás due to be broadcast this week on TG4. From the trailer on Vimeo, it also seems to cover the issue of the rival organisations)

TG4 ? The Nordie'll hardly be watching that Fenian malarkey ;)
  • thecrofter wrote:
    I was on a cycling forum the other day and some of the people posting couldn't make the distinction between physical geography and political geography. :roll:

Talk about stoopid!

Round these parts we take our Politics very physically...
  • LiamW
    LangerDan wrote:
    LiamW wrote:

No.

Didn't want to go into to much detail to be honest, i would still be typing lol.

I'll have to catch that TG4 programme, cheers mate.
  • LiamW
    slowsider wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    LiamW wrote:

No.

TG4 ? The Nordie'll hardly be watching that Fenian malarkey ;)

:mrgreen:

It's alright, it comes with subtitles. Not everyone can speak our native tongue.... :lol:
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    2397_bpfobu.jpg
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • LiamW
    Did you not see the smiley dw? That means no one is being serious...... :roll: :mrgreen:
  • thecrofter wrote:
    I was on a cycling forum the other day and some of the people posting couldn't make the distinction between physical geography and political geography. :roll:

Talk about stoopid!

Round these parts we take our Politics very physically...
    :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    LiamW wrote:
    Did you not see the smiley dw? That means no one is being serious...... :roll: :mrgreen:

That wasn't a reply to your post (I would have quoted it) .. just my reaction to this thread in general. :P
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • LiamW
    Apologies mate.
  • Ok , now where the heck is Derry ? :wink:
  • Ok , now where the heck is Derry ? :wink:
    :lol:
  • :)
    Where the feck, surely :D
  • Avant
    Avant Posts: 29
    Not overly suprising, heard a conversation not so long ago where a guy was bemoaning the fact his 16yr old grandaughter didn't know who Hitler was.

Everyone should know who Hilter is, he invented the light bulb in 1680.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A couple of guys in my office today were unable to explain the concept of proton gradients in relation to electron transport chains in mitochondria. One of them even thought that electron donors pass electrons to a LESS electronegative acceptor. Any idiot knows it should be MORE. :roll:

What is the world coming to? I blame the parents.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • LangerDan wrote:

Interesting programme :shock: , thanks for the heads-up.