I need a GPS app for directions not tracking

BintanMan
BintanMan Posts: 11
Morning all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I've been trying to find an App that will help me follow a cycle friendly route to a new place. I know there are plenty of apps for tracking, but this route is new and I'm trying to avoid busy dual carriageways without following a printed map. Some of the tracking apps that I use has a voice that tells me how far or how long I;ve been out riding. Ideally I would like something that tells me to 'turn left' etc.

I would prefer a sports app that can also track my performance, and here's the killer - it needs to be available on Blackberry 8)

Any thoughts/ideas? Be as blunt as you like.

Bin

Comments

• If you want a GPS device with verbal commands, buy a car with a SatNav.

If you want to ride a bike and follow a pre-planned route, which you have worked out to avoid busy dual carriageways, get a Garmin - there are many to chose from. Mine is an eTrex Legend CX.

Keep your Blackberry for phone calls. Few smartphones have batteries that provide route guidance for very long.

That's my opinion.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Agree with the above - I tried using my phone for navigation with the TomTom app. Firstly connection becomes spotty once you leave the urban environments. This means I found myself without a map at crucial stages.

This also affects battery life as the phone is working harder to hold on to the signal meaning the phone dies long before you can get any reasonable mileage in.