Rear brake and bottom bracket.

Little Butch
Little Butch Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a Kona Hoss 07 and the rear brake has egr worked since I got it, there's nothing at all when I pull the lever? And my peddle has fell off from the bottom bracket a few times now, I even locktited it in! It's an Isis bb, how tight should I be doing the bolts up as I did t want to over tighten them!

Comments

• The non-drive side crank bolt needs to go in tighter than the drive side crank - super tight but without breaking the bolt. You will need to make sure that the bolt and the Allen key tool are high quality ones. High quality bolt, in this instance, means a bolt with a deep socket that does not taper.

Place a spring washer (Belleville or split or wave washer - in order of preference) under the bolt, then grease the mating surfaces including the threads and under the head of the bolt before tightening down.

For the Hayes Sole hydraulic disc brake, visually inspect the unit for signs of damage. You are looking for oil leaks, in particular, at the pistons and hose mating interfaces when the lever is operated by pumping it in order to build up pressure.

What is your assessment?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clearly something happens when you pull the lever
    1/ Does it pull straight back to the bars with no braking
    2/ Feels like the front but you get no braking effect no noise
    3/ Feels like the front but you get little braking effect and a horrid noise

The Pedal isn't attached to the BB, is the pedal falling out the crank arm or the crank arm off the BB? Ignore the above advice until we know which.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The bob has splines that stick out and the pedal and crank is coming off the splines...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, in that case first thing to do is check the crank, if it's mashed up from falling off, a new crank is the only fix, otherwise make sure everything is clean, don't grease but lightly oil the joints and refit the crank, the retaining bolt should be done up basically as tight as you can.

And the brake?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Okay, I'll put a bit more force into it and tighten it as hard as I can! I haven't got a torque wrench yet...
    The crankset is a big old and battered so I'll be looking at replacing that in the future, just not now with my current funds lol!