How much faster

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
If I ride at an average of about 12 miles an hour on a mountain bike on fairly flat roads, how much faster am I likely to go if a switch o a road bike?

A know there are loads of influencing factors but a rough idea is all I'm looking or. :)

Comments

• That is a toughie, all I can compare it to is my own experience. When I commute on my mountain bike (all on road, 15 miles with c1000ft climbing) I do it around 14-15mph. When I do the same commute on my road bike its about 17-18mph.

However there are many variables at play here (weather, prevailing wind, traffic, type of MTB etc) I'm not sure you could really know unless you try it.
  • I'd say 15-16 mph
  • My 14 mile commute (230m climbing) is done in an average of 18.4km hr on my Kona Dew Drop (mtb weight but 700c wheels), and 22.5km hr on my road bike, the mountain bike was slower again, over that distance it added ten minutes and I was shattered.
  • Tough one really depends on how fit you are but anywhere from 15-20 mph. Plus I always tend to want to just go faster and faster on my road bike as it feels so good and the bike is so quick back up to speed out of the corners.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tough one really depends on how fit you are but anywhere from 15-20 mph. Plus I always tend to want to just go faster and faster on my road bike as it feels so good and the bike is so quick back up to speed out of the corners.

In other words, yes you will be faster but by how much, who knows? Get on a road bike, ride the course and you'll find out. Personally, if you are hitting just 12mph on your MTB, I cannot see you hitting anything like 20mph on a road bike (until you were to get fittter of course!)

Even on a road bike, speeds on the same course may vary by a couple of mph depending on weather conditions.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I am on average 3mph quicker on my road bike than my hybrid over same course and conditions
  • I averaged 2mph faster on my road bike than my mountain bike on my first few goes over the same route in the same conditions. I was giving it my max on the mountain bike but only about 80% on the road bike I was still getting used to the riding position and handling.
  • If I ride at an average of about 12 miles an hour on a mountain bike on fairly flat roads, how much faster am I likely to go if a switch o a road bike?

A know there are loads of influencing factors but a rough idea is all I'm looking or. :)

Does your MTB have road tyres on or knobblies?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • If I ride at an average of about 12 miles an hour on a mountain bike on fairly flat roads, how much faster am I likely to go if a switch o a road bike?

Knobblies although the rear tyre is well work. I'm planning to train through the winter on the mountain bike to get fit, lose weight and build endurance. I'm riding the London100 next August so have 10 months. Planning to buy a road bike for my birthday in Feb.

70 miles ridden this week. A long way to go but it's a start and the prospect of raising money for beating bowel cancer will keep me motivated.
  • It depends on the MTB, I suppose.

If it's an 'actual' suspension MTB that you could genuinely take on trails - and not the sort of cheap thing that Halfords sell to people that really want a hybrid or road bike - I'd expect you to be a bit slower on account of the suspension and the tough wheels and tyres, but I could be completely wrong about that. To give a number, I'd assume a couple of miles per hour.

If it's a bike that's designed primarily to be pedalled in the saddle, you have most of what you need. My first 'road bike' was my old flat bar Raleigh from the '80s, and I've averaged over 25mph over 18 miles on it. Drop bars and lighter wheels and tyres (etc) will all help you, but they won't make you 30% faster; just a bit faster that will add up over a few miles and make you feel much flightier, which is half the fun anyway. :)

Knobblies although the rear tyre is well work. I'm planning to train through the winter on the mountain bike to get fit, lose weight and build endurance. I'm riding the London100 next August so have 10 months. Planning to buy a road bike for my birthday in Feb.

70 miles ridden this week. A long way to go but it's a start and the prospect of raising money for beating bowel cancer will keep me motivated.

I would first invest in some road tyres for the MTB- that'll make you MUCH faster/easier/quieter!!!!!

I put some of these on from knobblies & the difference was like night & day! :wink:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... tsid:37143
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • 25 mile route on trek 4.5 £1800 18.5 . same on boardman team hybrid £750 17mph . and i enjoy it more on the hybrid