*Newbie alert* 10 speed cassette

Switchblade
Switchblade Posts: 23
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

Please be gentle,

I've currently got a Mavic wheel set with Shimano m525 hubs, it has a 9 speed sram cassette fitted.

As i'm building a bike for the first time i wanted to ask you people in the know if i can swap out the 9 speed cassette for a 10 speed cassette as i haven't as yet bought a groupset and was thinking of going 3x10 speed.

I've read around online that it's possible but i wanted to know for sure if it is and is there a specific 10 speed cassette i'd hhave to use????

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Dave.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will fit the hub, but won't work without the right shifters and mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah mate as i said i haven't yet bought any of the gear shifters etc, didn't want to go down the 10 speed route if it meant changing hubs or wheels, if i know that 10 speed will fit my current hub then i'll go the 10 speed route inc shifters etc.

Is there a specific 10 speed cassette i need to use on my hub or can i use either a Shimano or Sram????

Thanks for your help.

Dave.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Either will work - all the same size as 8 or 9 speed, just the cog spacing is different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any Shimano or SRAM 10 speed cassette will fit your 8/9/10 speed freehub on your wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.