Fluid to mileage ratio

velogee
velogee Posts: 133
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I am planning on doing 70 miles tomorrow which is the furthest I have been out on my own. I only have two 750ml bottles, and I was wondering if this would suffice or will I need additional fluids?

Cheers
Madone 4.9 2014
Jeffsy 27.5 2018

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Everyone is different. Yesterday I did 70 miles on a single 750ml 2:1, but during a race I'll go through 750ml an hour. You should be fine with the two bottles, but don't be afraid to stop somewhere and top them off if need be. I've found that cafes are really good about it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • On a mild day I can ride 50-60 miles on 2 x 750ml bottles. There's nothing worse than when your tiring to be having to think about conserving fluid so I would plan for a refill. I tend to stop at petrol stations as they have a good choice of cold drinks and you can keep half an eye on your bike when you're in there.
  • simona75 wrote:
    I tend to stop at petrol stations as they have a good choice of cold drinks and you can keep half an eye on your bike when you're in there.

^^ This.

Petrol mini-marts are also a good place to stock up on food as well. The array of BBQ and gas canisters is usually a good place to manacle the bike to quite easily. One gets to know where the decent stations are (East Horsley and Send/Ripley, between Guildford and Box Hill have good shops.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    In the current temps I find 2*750 will take me about 80 miles. Make sure your hydrated when you start and if you drink more just have some cash on you. No drama to stop somewhere, I normally take my bike in with me ( do people carry locks?)
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    if i'm putting a bit of effort in I use a botte an hour to keep hydrated.
    but on the longer rides I will stop at cafe for a coffee and cake etc and have only ones been pointed to the fride to buy water (will never use that place again!!!).
    for that distance I would need more than 4 bottels :(
    but I do sweat a lot.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Impossible to answer. Depending on the weather I might not finish one bottle or go through three.

Take your bottles and have a pop stop at a garage or wherever if you're running low.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    As others have said... it's hard to generalise and the temperature will effect this a lot.

eg. this summer in France I did a 50 miler in 35 + degree temperatures. I got through 6 bottles and was still dehydrated when I finished.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    I think I will likely get some abuse on this but I tend to ride 40-50 mile rides with absolutely no fluids as I cycle. No water bottle on my bike nothing. I appreciate that this will probably have negative effects on my performance but I dont feel the need to drink. I have a pint of squash before leaving (usually 6-7am) and then two pints once I get back. Done 1000 miles or so on this pattern. Think I need to sort this issue out! I do stay very hydrated during the day once back and generally.