Chain & Crank problem

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

Looking at my mates bike and noticed the middle cog of the front 3 rings is bent. Can i just replace that ring or do i have to replace the whole chain set?

Also when the chain is on the smallest of both the front and back rings, the chain is quite slack and it rubs on the top jockey wheel. so the lower jockey wheel is almost above the top one. would this mean the chain is too long? Hope this makes sense. i can take pics if you need them.

Sorry for the noob lingo.

Cheers

Comments

• Shouldn't use that combo anyway.

Check to see if the rings can come off
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bent cog - just bend it back. Hammer, rock, whatever, they bend, they bend back too.

Chain, yes, I would remove a pair of links, as even though that combo of gears is not to be used, it will be generally affecting shifting as your chain is a bit too long. You basically want to get the chain to the first (longest chain) point where in this gear combo you have a tight chain that clears the jockey wheel
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain length in 'big-big' first, my retro the chain goes slack in small-small but is perfectly sized for big-big.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.