Another Knee Question

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've had bursitis in my right knee diagnosed resulting from a gym-related impact. No other damage as far as the Doc can tell. It hurts but pain killers take the edge off. I'm wondering how long it might be before I can get on the bike again. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I've had bursitis in my knee it just stopped me kneeling on it. I could cycle with no pain at all, so figured the increased circulation might even help speed recovery.

Does yours hurt when you bend it?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    what does your doc say?
  • Peddle Up!
    Mikey23 wrote:
    what does your doc say?

I asked, of course. :) She said recovery was very much a matter of individual fitness and the nature of the exercise. I'm reasonably fit and (still!) heal quite quickly, but she wasn't expert on the stress of cycling. You lot are! :lol:
  • Peddle Up!
    Groan. A beautiful autumn day forecast for tomorrow. :(:(
  • I recently had bursitis in my shoulder,and put off going to the docs for weeks(won't make that mistake again), I was in agony and couldn't move my arm more than a few inches.
    Anyways,when i did get to the docs,she gave me a cortisone injection there and then, and it was right as rain within two days.
    She said it might come back,it might not, and you can only have three injections and then they have to look at other options.
    Get back down the docs and ask about the injection.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Cheer up! I'm off to Abergavenny for a ride tomorrow and the forecast is heavy rain, with a weather warning. Normal service has been resumed :)
  • Peddle Up!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Cheer up! I'm off to Abergavenny for a ride tomorrow and the forecast is heavy rain, with a weather warning. Normal service has been resumed :)

:)
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I've had bursitis in my right knee diagnosed resulting from a gym-related impact. No other damage as far as the Doc can tell. It hurts but pain killers take the edge off. I'm wondering how long it might be before I can get on the bike again. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

I feel your pain!

Although I can not comment on that particular condition I can talk as a long term sufferer of genral knee pain (don't think the doctors/physio are 100% sure what it is!)

Anyway the key thing I find is to accept the pain as a warning something is not right and through trial an error the key to getting better has been getting the balance right between exercise and rest.

Only when I accepted the rest bit did things really start to get better.

I started to know I was getting things right when the times I got pain reduced not just while cycling but also during rest periods and over time I found the pain reduced further and further.

I also found stretching really helped for me.

Another big help was I discovered swimming (freestyle) which while I do not enjoy as much as cycling it really helped my knee recover.

Good luck.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp