Numb toes & Headache

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Normally I cycle around 10-15miles 2-4 times a week. Today I went on a cycle for 2hrs 30mins and done around 30 miles.
As I got to around the hour mark or a little later my toes started going slightly numb or tingly sensation. After my ride I had a slight headache, which seems to have kind of gone now (30mins later)
Other info. I didn't eat anything this morning just a glass of water. I kept myself reasonably hydrated for the 2hrs 1/2 hrs I took a 750ml bottle with me.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You're dehydrated and probably depleted of glycogen. Keep in mind that unless you eat lower GI carbs then they will be absorbed as you sleep, and most people are dehydrated in the mornings as their bodies have been slowly consuming excess water overnight.

In regards to your feet, which toes went numb? If it started at the second toe then it indicates a lack of support. If they went numb progressively then it's a circulation issue which could be your shoes on too tight or your feet getting cold.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • GSJ
    Grill wrote:
    You're dehydrated and probably depleted of glycogen. Keep in mind that unless you eat lower GI carbs then they will be absorbed as you sleep, and most people are dehydrated in the mornings as their bodies have been slowly consuming excess water overnight.

In regards to your feet, which toes went numb? If it started at the second toe then it indicates a lack of support. If they went numb progressively then it's a circulation issue which could be your shoes on too tight or your feet getting cold.

Thanks for the quick reply! yeah my toes did feel a little cold, and I was just wearing normal bib shorts with normal socks and my cycling shoes. They went numb progressively, and I stopped and loosened the velcro straps which didn't really help. But saying that when I did stop my toes felt fine again :S
  • Grill
    Are you sure that your shoes aren't too big? If they are what will happen is that your feet will slide forward as you pedal to the narrower part of the shoe thus cutting circulation.
    It could also be the cold as when you stop you no longer have the wind hitting your toes. The options in that case would be covers or better socks (I'd suggest merino wool, Endura are cheap and good in that department).
  • GSJ
    Nope, my shoes are definetely not too big, their right fit, and if anything they may actually be too small, but they don't feel tight.
  • Grill
    In that case make sure you're not over-tightening and invest in merino socks or covers (both really considering it's getting colder).
  • GSJ
    Okay :) thanks for your help
    edit: I don't over tighten the velcro as I don't pull it tight or pull it at all.