losing motivation need help

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
I have been commuting 2/3 times a week since April, approximately 17 miles each way on a canal path.

Over the period I have lost weight and I like that. However, my journey time is pretty consistent around 1 hr 20 to 1 hr 30mins.

This week I have really struggled getting the motivation. Its not the weather or the kit, as I like the cooler conditions and have all the kit. My legs just feel tired and I seem to be really struggling to maintain a high cadence.

What should I do, I really do not want to stop and go back to being a lard ass but I am really struggling.

thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe you are just that: a bit tired/run down/virus. Is it possible to take a few days off the bike, see how you feel?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm not sure your route is helping. I used to commute on a towpath. Firstly, despite being green and pretty, it got boring - just not enough going on.

Secondly, tow paths are flat by nature and speeds fairly unvaried. You aren't going to get the changes in gradient and stop and start accelerations you get on the road.

Thirdly, variation is nice. Different routes for different days. Just rings the changes and keeps things from getting stale.

Obviously, circumstances can make variations different. My shortest route to work is 6.5 miles, my normal minimum 9.5 miles and long routes can be over 20. It means if I feel lazy, I have the luxury of easy choices.

If you were riding that distance on the roads, you could be targeting the hour for that commute.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Its odd because last week as OK, its just this week. I have got a bit of a cold so maybe its that.

I am trying new routes, more on the road than the canal path
  • plus 1 on the change of routes, I've felt the same recently with the gym and I have put it down to subconsiously feeling like I am experiencing my own groundhog day and need to break the monotony
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Try getting a bit more sleep next week. I find that not getting enough sleep is the biggest factor on my energy levels.

Second is get enough energy in you. Make sure you eat something before you leave and have enough water. I have tea with sugar and jam on toast for breakfast, a pint of water and maybe a banana.

Drink enough water - probably half a litre to a litre each way.

Stretch before and after your ride. Warm into it for the first mile, and warm down on the last mile or half a mile. If you don't do this the lactic acid will get you.

I agree with what Rolf F says about the route. Maybe try the roads. You will probably get in faster, and it might be less effort. Going a bit faster is a lot more enjoyable. I go a different way home everyday too, its good to explore.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I set myself a mileage (or kilometre-age) target each year and find that really helps me to get up and onto the bike every day.

Currently on 9,793 km against a target of 12,000 km.

Or you could just change your route :oops:
    FCN = 4
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    you have a cold - end of
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    jonomc4 wrote:
    you have a cold - end of

what he said.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I used to commute on the canals, hence the username, but like you say it gets pretty boring if it's the same route and darkness then ice add a new kind of fear factor, while challenging, doesn't get you home quicker.

I now have a road bike and enjoy the fact I can change route on a whim and managing traffic keeps me more alert. I got a Garmin too and set up several segments to keep me focused. I find me times tend to reflect my mood or vice versa.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    I only have a 5 mile road commute but have a number of different routes that I use up to 16 miles, The variety does make a big help in motivation, and do time them as well. I am concerned about the upcoming winter when the dark mornings point towards the 5 mile direct route (which is the best lit of my routes) and so losing the variety. It is much easier to have motivation when it is only 5 miles and extending it, rather than 17 miles. I guess it would depend on the local geography if there was many alternatives that might not add excessive mileage. Strong winds lately do zap motivation a lot, great when it is behind you but feels like it makes you go backward at times.
  • I have around 3 routes I can take so I will try that,when I feel better

thanks
  • Weight loss suggests you've been at a calorie deficit - you're burning more calories than you're taking in.
    While the cold seems a more likely factor, it is worth considering what you're eating and whether you want to up a bit - even if it's so you're still losing weight, but at a slower pace.
  • My knees are killing me but I intend to try and ride slowly in tomorrow. Will see how it goes.