A doh moment

hirdylloydy
hirdylloydy Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
After 4 months of cycling, I finally got up the courage to buy some pedals and shoes. I've been a bit worried about being locked in, but finally did it. Went for my first ride in my shoes, was feeling great and loving the circular motion that being locked in gives. Anyway. 3/4 of the way through I came to an intersection, I unlocked my right foot and stopped next to my two riding buddy's, I thought the road was clear so I pedaled off with my locked in left foot, then I saw a car flying around and decided to wait, well as momentum would have it, I slowly leaned over to the left, it felt in slow motion as I teetered and eventually hit the ground, my helpful buddies thought it was quite hilarious! Only my wrist and my pride was hurt! I was so determined not to fall and it happened on my first run!

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The good-old clipless moment. Everyone has at least one.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I was told that by a lot of people, but was determined that it wouldn't happen to me!
  • I went through the same thing a few years ago - first time clipped-in on my commute, hit a steep incline in entirely the wrong gear, came to an abrupt halt, and keeled over in slow motion! It must have been hilarious to see, but fortunately nobody was around. Don't know which was worse, falling over or the gear fail!
    The next time out I had the same scenario as you, came to a junction which is clear 90% of the time, but a car came along and I had to stop before unclipping - again, over in slo-mo, this time right in front of a car behind me. They didn't seem to be laughing, but I wouldn't have blamed them (nor did they check on my well-being, more worryingly!).
    It's a rite of passage, just like stalling the car when you're first starting to drive. It'll become second nature, don't worry.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I may regret writing this, but I've had SPD's for about 12 years and never keeled over while clipped in. I suppose I should start feeling nervous knowing it will happen one day...
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    keef66 wrote:
    I may regret writing this, but I've had SPD's for about 12 years and never keeled over while clipped in. I suppose I should start feeling nervous knowing it will happen one day...

You're doomed now.

There's no escape. It will be like Final Destination. :twisted:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    most passers by think you have had a heart attack ...
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Keeled over in the middle of Keswick high street early on in the coast to coast last year. I was right next to an extremely attractive lady passenger in a car on my right and she was absolutely p*ssing herself at me. That was one of 4 falls that day before I realised I'd only loosened one side on one of my new SPDs.
  • We all have one. My first was great I was in Palma Mallorc on the front in Autumn nice quiet mornign so nobody around. Went round a corner on the path slowly as I didnt know where I was going only to find the pavement ended with no warning so i stopp and unclipped my left foot and promplty fell to my right not only did i fall over in slow motion but then endud up in the road with my clipped in foot trapped under the bike. My bike was higher than me as it was still on the kerb I was in the road. the lid of my water bottle promptly came off emptying all my drink down hill towards me which then soaked me and to make matters worse what i thought was a quiet mornign, when i look behind me there was a cruise ship in and it was perfect time for the disembarking crouds to see me in the road looking like a right prat. the whole incident proabable lasted 15 seconds but i still rememeber it clearly. jumped back on the bike with the "that didnt hurt I meant to do it" expression on my face then got round the corner kicked my self and sorted the blood on my knee out of sight of everybody. Felt a right Knob. Not happened again since thank god.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Why do these moments only seem to happen in full public view ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    hipshot wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

You're doomed now.

Bugger me; it happened this morning! Bursting for a pee, swerved into a field gateway, unclipped the left foot and promptly keeled over to the right. Quite secluded, so I think I got away with it :oops:
  • As I type this I already regret each character but I haven't had my moment of clipped in fun....Yet. Now this is caveated by the fact I have only been using these type of peddles for 3 weeks so i am sure it's coming.
  • keef66 wrote:
    hipshot wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

You're doomed now.

Bugger me; it happened this morning! Bursting for a pee, swerved into a field gateway, unclipped the left foot and promptly keeled over to the right. Quite secluded, so I think I got away with it :oops:

Lol! Self fulfilling prophecy...had my moment a couple of weeks ago but it may live with me for some time :D