Chief Whip is rude to policemen

Comments

• I think the incident is trivial. However, it is the apparant lieing of the Chief Whip that concerns me. If he just fessed up at the time, and apologised, there would be no more. It is the fact that he is weaseling and saying he did not use the words attributed to him that stinks, he does not say what the words are and does not in fact answer the questions asked. He therefore seems to be lieing, and that my friends is the nub of what the issue is. If helies for something this apprantly trivial, he may well do so in other more serious matters.

See the following for where a little lie can lead: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7967982.stm

I generally assume anything said by a Tory MP to be a lie, that way I am rarely disappointed.

Actually make that any MP.
  • I generally assume anything said by a Tory MP to be a lie, that way I am rarely disappointed.
    As do I. And anything said by the Met. So I'm torn on this one.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If anyone still hasn't seen it, the police report in ful is here.
    :wink:

And the headcam distances are here: viewtopic.php?f=40076&t=12609612&start=1534
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    veloevol wrote:
    I found you can have dealings with the police without resorting to swearing.

http://youtu.be/rMphhd8QCwA

Quiet news day:

Cyclist ‘cut up’ by police driver turns anger into a YouTube hit
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 96791.html
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    They are still whining on about this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... toast.html
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just saw this on the 6 o'clock.

Christ on a bike give it up!
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Didn't this happen like a month ago?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Bye
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Perfectly timed to distract the papers from Osborne being a c**t on a train. They hung onto him until him going was useful.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20008342
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Origamist wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    veloevol wrote:
    I found you can have dealings with the police without resorting to swearing.

http://youtu.be/rMphhd8QCwA

Sorry, but I'm with the policeman on this one. This is on a par with that bloke on BBC Essex.

Eh? Looks like a buzz from an advanced police driver who should have known better. Why not use the full width of the bus lane to execute the undertake?
    Yes, the police driver was clearly in the wrong here. The cyclist had overtaken a stationary bus and was clearly about to pull left out of the way. The reason he didn't was because there was a vehicle rapidly approaching on the inside. Ignorant and stupid. Hence, it boiled down to "I gave you plenty of room" and "you weren't in any danger". Kind of like talking to a cabbie.
  • I know that this is a cycling forum and all that but he isn't Chief Whip anymore, just saying.
    'fool'
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I find it utterly depressing that he had been hounded out of his job for this.

I would wager that had any of the journo's/opposition had been told to do something as petty or unessescery by some over-officious plonker in a high-vis coat and a radio they would not respond too kindly either. I know i wouldn't.

Granted he shouldn't have gone sweary and you can say that because of his position, he should have shown humility, but give the guy a break. He's human.
  • rick_chasey
    Guardian is pretty complimentary about his successor. Surprisingly so.
  • Peat wrote:

I would wager that had any of the journo's/opposition had been told to do something as petty or unessescery by some over-officious plonker in a high-vis coat and a radio they would not respond too kindly either. I know i wouldn't.

Granted he shouldn't have gone sweary and you can say that because of his position, he should have shown humility, but give the guy a break. He's human.

I think he may have got through the rant, swearing and use of the word pleb if he had fronted up and apologized. It is when he started on about "not using the words attributed to him" while studiously avoiding telling us what words he did use that his position became really dodgy. As a fairly impartial observer I thought his explanation lacked credability
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Origamist
    The new chief whip, Sir George Young is certainly a man of the people: "the homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera". F*cking patricians...

At least he rides a bike though, like Jimmy S used to:

A5l6FVqCMAIgc3o_png%20large.png
  • rick_chasey
    Origamist wrote:
    The new chief whip, Sir George Young is certainly a man of the people: "the homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera". F*cking patricians...

The context of that quote is to ridicule the rich, not the homeless. He's a left leaning Tory.

Mitchell was put in place to keep the rebellious younger Tory back benchers in line. It seems they're the ones that kept the pressure up on him...

I imagine that's partly why it went on for as long as it did.
  • Origamist
    Origamist wrote:

The context of that quote is to ridicule the rich, not the homeless. He's a left leaning Tory.

Out of interest, what was the context of the quip?
  • rick_chasey
    AFAIK some reasonably well off bloke was going on about the homeless and shelters and his opinions on the matter, to which Yong replied with that > as if to say "WTF do you know about the homeless?"
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Peat wrote:

I think he may have got through the rant, swearing and use of the word pleb if he had fronted up and apologized. It is when he started on about "not using the words attributed to him" while studiously avoiding telling us what words he did use that his position became really dodgy. As a fairly impartial observer I thought his explanation lacked credability
    There are many situations where the eventual resignation occurs because of the actual approach to damage limitation as opposed to the initial incident. I also gather that Mitchell managed to have remarkably few friends, which doesn't help if you do make a mistake.
  • Origamist
    AFAIK some reasonably well off bloke was going on about the homeless and shelters and his opinions on the matter, to which Yong replied with that > as if to say "WTF do you know about the homeless?"

If that is indeed the context, it puts a different complexion on the quote. Thank you. What is your source, btw?

According to Hansard, the ever-indignant Tony Banks tried to make political capital out of the quip in Dec 1992, but Young ignored the jibe in his reply:
    Mr. Tony Banks Does the Minister not feel ashamed and embarrassed to see so many people sleeping on the streets of London when he is on his way to the opera? I do not suppose embarrassment is something that comes easily to Conservative Members because they could not care a damn about people who are sleeping rough?...
  • Tebbit droppin' sum bombs on Dave...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    Origamist wrote:

If that is indeed the context, it puts a different complexion on the quote. Thank you. What is your source, btw?

According to Hansard, the ever-indignant Tony Banks tried to make political capital out of the quip in Dec 1992, but Young ignored the jibe in his reply:
    Mr. Tony Banks Does the Minister not feel ashamed and embarrassed to see so many people sleeping on the streets of London when he is on his way to the opera? I do not suppose embarrassment is something that comes easily to Conservative Members because they could not care a damn about people who are sleeping rough?...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... olice-pleb
    On the surface, the old Etonian bicycling Baronet will look like a deeply inappropriate person to restore to an administration seeking to shed the patrician image created by Andrew Mitchell episode. But he is courteous, wry, insightful and very much on the left of his party. The quote frequently attributed to him that the homeless are what people leaving the opera have to step over was designed not to slight the homeless but ridicule the rich.

Is as good as I can find on the internet, but I remember it being discussed before at 6th form!

But that article lays on the love quite thickly with him.
  • Origamist
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... olice-pleb
    On the surface, the old Etonian bicycling Baronet will look like a deeply inappropriate person to restore to an administration seeking to shed the patrician image created by Andrew Mitchell episode. But he is courteous, wry, insightful and very much on the left of his party. The quote frequently attributed to him that the homeless are what people leaving the opera have to step over was designed not to slight the homeless but ridicule the rich.

Is as good as I can find on the internet, but I remember it being discussed before at 6th form!

But that article lays on the love quite thickly with him.

It does; no mention of the drink driving offence for example.Thanks for the link though. I might have been a bit harsh on the old Etonian (then again, I might not).
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So it was all a lie. I'll just sit back and wait for the retractions from all of those who were queuing up on here to register their glee at having their anti-conservative party prejudices confirmed when it happened. I won't hold my breath.

It's a wry old world where you can be hounded out of your job on the basis of a bit of a cobbled together story that suits a particular agenda. I think the word I'm after is 'stinks'. It does. Let's hope heads roll over this.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    CiB wrote:
    I'll just sit back and wait for the retractions from all of those who were queuing up on here to register their glee at having their anti-conservative party prejudices confirmed when it happened.

You do know they are only going to be replaced by anti police prejudices......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    CiB wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So it was all a lie. I'll just sit back and wait for the retractions from all of those who were queuing up on here to register their glee at having their anti-conservative party prejudices confirmed when it happened. I won't hold my breath.

It's a wry old world where you can be hounded out of your job on the basis of a bit of a cobbled together story that suits a particular agenda. I think the word I'm after is 'stinks'. It does. Let's hope heads roll over this.
    Er, he still swore at a police officer. He doesn't deny that. You think thats behaviour worthy of someone in that position?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    notsoblue wrote:
    Er, he still swore at a police officer. He doesn't deny that. You think thats behaviour worthy of someone in that position?
    Not ideal, but I for one don't think it should in any way bar him.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Yeah am I missing something?

He always maintained that he didn't call anyone a pleb, but did swear, and apologised for that.

Now it turns out that he didn't call anyone a pleb, but did swear.

Was he forced from his position because of the swearing or because nobody believed that he didn't call them a pleb?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    /Think/ the story is that another police officer pretended to be a member of the public & sent an upset email to Randall knowing it would cause major issues. The video then showed that only one member of the public really even noticed the incident & the person(officer) who sent the email might not have even been there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20780584
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jds_1981 wrote:
    /Think/ the story is that another police officer pretended to be a member of the public & sent an upset email to Randall knowing it would cause major issues. The video then showed that only one member of the public really even noticed the incident & the person(officer) who sent the email might not have even been there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20780584

Police in corruption shocker.

Chief whip still swore at an officer though...