Lapierre Zesty 314 2012 vs Scott Spark 30 2012

ktm phil
ktm phil Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
OK, posted on here a while back and was looking at the Cube AMS 130. Theres no where near me where I can ride one so have dismissed spending £2k on a bike I can't ride!!

Am having a day out tomorrow to test ride both the Lapierre Zest 314 and a Scott Spark 30. Now, on paper they both appear to be great bikes with the main difference being the carbon frame on the Scott (all be it still with an ali swingarm).

£500 difference between the two, is it worth that for the carbon frame/weight saving? Difference in weight I think is just over 1kg. Will I notice that or is it all in the head?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1Kg is a big difference, all else being equal it will be a noticeable difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As a percentage of overall weight I agree 1kg would appear to be a fair bit. However we all fill up water bottles/camel backs, add tool kits, etc, do we really notice a difference between the start of a ride with 2 litres of fluid (2kg) in our camel backs or at the end of the ride when they are empty?

Just questioning weather once you get to a point ie the relatively low weight of all good quality modern bikes, how much difference a little bit here and there really makes. If the figures weren't published would it be such a high priority on our shopping lists!?
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    ktm phil wrote:
    As a percentage of overall weight I agree 1kg would appear to be a fair bit. However we all fill up water bottles/camel backs, add tool kits, etc, do we really notice a difference between the start of a ride with 2 litres of fluid (2kg) in our camel backs or at the end of the ride when they are empty?

One could argue that unless you stop for a toilet break technically you are still carrying that fluid in your stomach, bloodstream, digestive system, etc.

SCIENCE.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read the group tests in MBUK for example, the lightest bike is often remarked upon as being noticeably the best vlimber, although this isn't always the case, again they are only talking a Kg here or there.

Also in any riding a camelback is strapped to your body and the mass is easier to control than when it's on the bike under you.

I changed the wheels/tyres on my commuter (yes I know rotational as well as translational inertia), knocking 0.5Kg off the weight and having lower rolling resistance narrower tyres and the bike felt so much faster it was almost unbelievable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    1kg is a big difference if you were maybe comparing a Spark 70 with a Spark 10, or a Zesty 314 with the 914, but you're not. You're comparing a trail/AM bike with an XC/trail bike, to keep it within those simple marketing terms. They're both capable bikes, but different. Decide which one suits the kind of riding you do.
  • warpcow wrote:
    1kg is a big difference if you were maybe comparing a Spark 70 with a Spark 10, or a Zesty 314 with the 914, but you're not. You're comparing a trail/AM bike with an XC/trail bike, to keep it within those simple marketing terms. They're both capable bikes, but different. Decide which one suits the kind of riding you do.

ahh, thats helpful. Thought I was comparing like for like? I will mainly be riding forest trails in East Anglia (flat, woopy) but would like something capable enough for regular trips to more mountainous/rocky parts of the country?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    ktm phil wrote:
    was looking at the Cube AMS 130. Theres no where near me where I can ride one so have dismissed spending £2k on a bike I can't ride!!

I don't understand why you can't ride the AMS130 near where you are based?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    mcnultycop wrote:
    ktm phil wrote:
    was looking at the Cube AMS 130. Theres no where near me where I can ride one so have dismissed spending £2k on a bike I can't ride!!

I think he means theres nowhere he can demo one.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    EH_Rob wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    ktm phil wrote:

I think he means theres nowhere he can demo one.

Ah, right. I thought somehow a Cube AMS130 wasn't suitable for the terrain, and tried to work out what terrain that could possibly be.
  • Sorry, that is correct, no dealers close to me with a demo bike. Shame, as I have a Cube Ltd Pro hardtail at the moment and really like it.

So are these two bikes not a good comparison? If so, which should I be comparing from the two brands?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    very different bikes, both very good at what they do, but very different handling.
    Try both and see which you prefer for your style of riding?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • A quick look at the geometry of the two bikes suggests that they share a similar top tube length and seat angle but that the Zesty has a 66 degree head tube vs the Sparks 68.7 (medium bikes). The Zesty also has a marginally longer chainstay which combined with the head tube angle and longer travel forks will give it a longer wheelbase and in all likelihood more stability at speed.

The Spark is a 120mm travel bike that falls in Scott's "Racing" division of their mountain bikes - the Zesty is a 150mm travel bike that falls in the Trail/all mountain categories. Different horses for different courses for sure BUT if you are looking for something fun for your local trails but with versatility to go elsewhere they may be good comparisons.

From a spec point of view they are very similar. The fork on the zesty maybe shading it a touch.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I ride with people who love the Zesty, i love the Scott.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • So I paid a visit this morning to Bike Art at High Lodge in Thetford forest as they had both a Zesty 314 and a Scott Spark 30. How the f**k they are in business is beyond me! There I am stood with £2000+ burning a hole in my pocket, and all I was met with was an arrogant 'can't be arsed' attitude!! They just couldn't be bothered and showed absolutely no enthusiasm and were frankly quite condescending. Well, tough luck, my money will be spent elsewhere!!

It did however confirm for me that the sort of riding I am likely to do the most of the Scott will be a better bike, it just begs the question of weather the extra £500 for the carbon frame is worth it or weather I try and find a Spark 35 or 40?

If anyone can point me in the direction of a Scott dealer in East Anglia with a bit of Customer Service, that would also be great!!
  • ktm phil, I had the same crappy response with my LBS, I actually posted about it in the women's section, if you are set on the Scott then I would advise contacting Pedal on, http://www.pedalon.co.uk, they sorted my new bike out and it was the best customer service via the phone and email I have had, set it up and had free delivery. They have a scott 30 in a medium only for £2299? Hope this helps
  • Thanks stalked toast....glad its not only me!

I've also found a Spark 35 at £1850, and Spark 40 at £1899, just need to check specs to see what differnces are between 30, 35 and 40 and then I can get sorted!

Anyone out there got experience/opinions of these models?
  • You also thought about a Lapierre x-Flow? That will be more like for like then the zesty.. or a Ghost AMR 7500 or Giant Trance?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838