Thefford Winter Series 2012/13

Comments

• stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    Not that good, its due in the week before round 3!
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    I have a small dilemma for round 3, do I stay with the full suss and go for comfort for the 4 hours or swap back to the 29 hardtail and hope I can ride it quicker over the 4 hours and get a better result?
  • stylish
    if my new rig turns up i will have the same problem :wink:
  • C0LL0
    is there anything in the rules about swapping bikes half way through a race????
  • If you race under BC rules you have to finish the race on the same bike you started the race on.
  • epicdaza
    epicdaza Posts: 240
    stylish wrote:
    if my new rig turns up i will have the same problem :wink:

Hi mate,

One easy answer to that dilemma. It's Brandon side so 29er with 25psi front, 28psi rear (30 if over 12st) and there's your fastest option over that side with the comfort, trust me!

Daza
    Daza
    Team CCN / Torq / Chain Reaction / Streetlife
    Team CCN on Facebook

Give me 21 switchbacks and I'm happy!
  • C0LL0
    Hi Daza

That was what I was thinking use the 29er, I told the wife I needed a bouncy bike for the 4 hours races so I could buy one, lucky for me she doesn't come to the Thetford races so she won't know I haven't used it.
  • C0LL0
    It's my last day at work so may not get the time to post on here as I'll be too busy, so to all that know me & everyone that I know, have a great Christmas and a happy new year, see you all on the other side when training begins again :lol:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Just looking at the site for race 3 and there appears to be a sh!t load already entered...!
    Is that cumulative for the series?
    Surely that many couldn't race...
    Think I'll give it a miss. :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • C0LL0
    600 limit I think was mentioned for this round
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    So far its less than round 1 and 2. Dont go by the race numbers as the amount racing :wink: As its at Brandon, the same as the mud fest 1st round, i think numbers will be less anyway due to people being put off and how muddy it still is over that side. Mind you, we are set for some cold weather over the next couple of weeks so may harden up.
  • hopper1
    Well, I'm entered in the 2 hour race, now :wink:
    If it stays muddy I may have to change the RoRo's to Mud Kings!...
    More decision making... :roll:
    I do hope the weather helps to firm it up a bit.
  • evo3ben
    I did hear that the Brandon side of Thetford was trashed over the xmas period and didnt recover from the first round. I was half expecting a venue change because of it but this spell of cold weather might harden it up. Saying that, we have snow on the way and that may just make it worse. Only time will tell.
  • hopper1
    I'll prepare the Mud X's... :roll:
  • evo3ben
    Well, we have snow and alot more to come! Temperatures not rising much above freezing meaning snow will be around for a while. Will be interesting to see what its like come next weekend.
  • hopper1
    It'll be a right mess, I would wager :roll:
  • stylish
    i wouldnt worry too much, its on the "dry" side of the forest.......... :mrgreen:
  • evo3ben
    Exactly lol. Dont think 'dry' sides exist anymore. Mind you they have said on the Thetford forum that the course will be different to 1st round so will hopefully miss out all the bits that are still very muddy.
  • stylish
    Ive got a plan, if the snow keeps up, im not racing, im just going along with a tow rope, my 4x4 and will be charging £5 to tow anyone out who is stuck...........

Hopefully all this white crap will be gone by the weekend............
  • hopper1
    stylish wrote:
    Ive got a plan, if the snow keeps up, im not racing, im just going along with a tow rope, my 4x4 and will be charging £5 to tow anyone out who is stuck...........

Hopefully all this white crap will be gone by the weekend............

I like the plan... I'll leave my bike at home, but bring my 'board instead and you can tow me out of the bomb holes, when my legs are fooked! :wink:
  • evo3ben
    If anyone hasnt see the Thetford racing website or Facebook, here is what has been said....

Hi Everybody, Well Ive been out to FR6-4 today to check out what the snow conditions are like, if you want to see pictures check our Facebook. anyway as it is at the moment it would not be safe to get in there as the snow is about 4 inches deep, Im sure we could get in but my concern at the moment is if we have to medivac someone we would have issues. also at the moment Im unable to get the trailer and van out of storage as its snowbound.

Anyway Im not going to give up yet, Im going to look at it Wednesday and decide if we go ahead or move the race to February 3rd. I will talk to the forestry and see if they can do anything about the fire road snow, they have a big Volvo grader working at the moment maybe I can twist some arms.

Fingers crossed

Paul @ TmtbR
  • C0LL0
    didn;t think about that, don't mind racing in the snow but actually getting on site is another thing.
  • evo3ben
    As most of you prob know, the green light has be given for Sunday 8) Going to be a wet muddy one I think judging by the weather forecast. Most of the snow should be gone.
  • C0LL0
    snow forecast again over friday night/sat morning, but rain to follow, bring on the brown stuff......
  • hopper1
    evo3ben wrote:
    As most of you prob know, the green light has be given for Sunday 8) Going to be a wet muddy one I think judging by the weather forecast. Most of the snow should be gone.

Don't know whether to laugh, or cry!... See ya'll there... :D
  • C0LL0
    I was looking forward to racing in the snow, surprisingly easy to ride quick on hard pack snow but the course is what it is and the same for all entrants so will do my best, chasing a top 20 place for the final round to be gridded.
  • stylish
    Nightmare, all ready to race, bike prepped, lost weight post christmas, rained all night and snow thawed, and it looked like a good day for a race, i just didnt count on the overnight waterleak in the bathroom that had to be fixed! did manage to catch some of the race though, looked alot less muddy than i thought it would.
  • hopper1
    stylish wrote:
    Nightmare, all ready to race, bike prepped, lost weight post christmas, rained all night and snow thawed, and it looked like a good day for a race, i just didnt count on the overnight waterleak in the bathroom that had to be fixed! did manage to catch some of the race though, looked alot less muddy than i thought it would.

I didn't race, either... Allowed my temper to get the better of me, when my new tyre wouldn't seal (fookn poxy DT Swiss rims)...
    Should of used a tube!
    Took my camera and shouted abuse/ encouragement at all passing me :wink:
    Wish I'd have raced, though.
  • hopper1
    Not been to a MTB race for a few years, so was quite impressed today, at how things seem to have improved.
    Never used to have 'tech/feed' zones, which I thought was a good idea. I couldn't find my race CamelBak yesterday, but that wouldn't have mattered, as I could have arranged for bottles to be handed up.
    Is it a similar set upp for the M, S & G races... I hope so.
  • evo3ben
    Big well done to the race organisers for ensuring the race went ahead as I know they put in a lot of hard work to make it happen due to conditions.
    Conditions were muddy to say the least and as the race progressed the going in parts got harder but to be expected. Oh and the weather was fantastic!
    What I am really disappointed about is finishing the race a lap early. I crossed the finish line at 1hr 57min and in 37th place after 3rd lap but there was a 'RACE FINISHED' sign on display so I took the exit and headed straight to the time laps screen to see me in 37th place. I had a strategy for the race and was disappointed the race had been ended before the 2hr cut off as I had paced for a 4th lap. As it happens the race had not finished and got knocked down to 40th. I would have put in a strong final lap a finished 34th-35th :x
    I know I was not going mad as others saw the sign too but as of yet I have had no explanation from the organisers. I am a bit gutted about it but just want to know why the sign was there to be honest as it is confussing. Also, I think it would be helpful to have some kind of bell telling you it is the last lap. They have a bell at MSG and Beastway and does help.

Hopper1, yes MSG has a feed zone etc, it's run very well.