Rain! What shorts?

lighty89
lighty89 Posts: 183
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Living in Stoke, we got a lot of rain, and heavy.
So, can somebody recommend what shorts are decent for commuting in? Waterproof?
I feel waterproof may be the way to go, as my Nike Dri-Fit Shorts just soak through.
My lycra doesnt do much better either!

Don't want to brake the bank though! £70 for a pair of shorts is crazy! (MT500's)
I do have tights but I dont really like wearing longer trousers.
MTB - VooDoo Bantu
Commuter - Raleigh Grande

Comments

• Step 1) Look at BBC weather
    Step 2) Get swimming shorts

Seriously though, I just wear any shorts that will dry quickly. I've tried waterproof but I think thats just another name for boil in the bag and water seems to travel upwards anyway! Save your money and get a couple of cheap pairs so that you've got a spare clean dry pair that you can use for the journey home/next day.

At the end of the day skin is waterproof and if you start to get cold then push harder!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What sort of shorts?

surface liquistretch are water replant [I think}, they won't stay dry in a massive downpour but probably dry quickly and as above, anything fully waterproof will be like wearing a plastic bag.
  • If you can tolerate looking like a prat http://www.rainlegs.com/ are pretty good - keep the bit of your legs that get wettest dry, without any boil-in-the-bag effect. Not perfect (they can get caught on your saddle, for example), but the least worst solution I've found.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Might get a few pairs on shorts then!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • verloren wrote:
    If you can tolerate looking like a prat http://www.rainlegs.com/ are pretty good

Not as bad as these though http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cape-3-red-id_8182034.html

They also come in a fetching red and grey, and in all honesty are quite well made. I don't have one myself (the missus would disown me), but have seen them in Decathalon several times before and from speaking to one of the assistants, I was told they do a relatively good job.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Why shorts - almost October :o
  • Why shorts - almost October :o
    I wear shorts all year. Have to dig out my old 3/4s in December mind. 8)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wear MTB 'waterproof' shorts in winter/wet, cotton in summer/dry, just get some used 'waterproof' MTB shorts off ebay and rince in fabric conditioner a few times, your legs will still get wet but the important areas will stay dry.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cold doesnt really bother me!
    Just dont want my shorts to soak through!

Might have the padded lyrca under some normal shorts!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
  • I have an old pair of Adidas "Climaproof" 3/4 length things, formerly used for winter hurling training. They're a bit plasticky in feel, but rainproof enough and quite breathable.

Definitely worth a shot if you see them about.

(Awaits flames for advocacy of non-bike clothing)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Endura's 3/4 length eVent shorts have worked well for me. I don't usually use them unless I am going long, or touring and in the saddle all day, but when I have wanted waterprof trousers they have worked a treat.