E-Thirteen G-Ring Chainrings

coursemyhorse
coursemyhorse Posts: 192
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not sure when these came out, but I have started to see new product images on websites for these popular E-Thirteen G-Ring chainrings. They used to be praised highly as a lightweight but tough and rigid ring for single ring/1x10 setup, in a good range of colours and sizes, including odd number teeth.

I noticed that the new ones look like they have more material and are different to the old ones. I wondered why this might be? Surely they are now not quite as light? They are currently on offer on CRC so I was going to pick one up, but not if they aren't as good as the old ones? Anyone know? Only criticism I have heard from the old style ones, are that they anodising can wear off of the teeth fairly quickly, but then I would assume the majority of chainrings are like this.

OLD:

87853.jpg

NEW:

87845.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They obviously have either a different BCD or different amount of teeth, but I can't be arsed to count them
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's the second one Cooldad, the ones in the lower picture are marked as 40t and the one in the first picture is a 34t
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, my eyes couldn't make out the numbers on the top ones - not getting old, just a small screen.
    But at least Op's question is now answered.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oh right lol! Thanks guys. The ones with more teeth obviously need to be fatter to accommodate all teeth and they have just selected different ones to use for product images. Thanks for clarifying. Off to buy one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So how long before we see someone else copy the SRAM 'chainguideless' single ring with fat/thin teeth?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So how long before we see someone else copy the SRAM 'chainguideless' single ring with fat/thin teeth?

That uses a specific chain and cassette and is designed as an "all in one" system though isn't it? So the idea of a chainring that is compatible with current normal chains and cassettes....don't know if that would work?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Neither do I, but worth someone trying to find out you'd have thought......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.