helmet protocol plus cabedo

seige
seige Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Road general
firstly a moment for cabedo after being killed yesterday

i had a crash recently and other than scuffing the lid looks ok
should i not bother wearing it again or could it be ok?
i have an old mtb helmet that i can use but a bloke at work says after so long you should replace as a matter of routine
any thoughts as searching google gives differing views

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Personally I would replace it just for complete peace of mind - you only get 1 head.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I agree. Replace. Call it a good excuse for a new and nicer one.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Replace after any kind of knock. Also should be replaced every two years as a matter of course. Much as anything, it's an excuse to buy something and help kick start the economy etc etc. Consider it like National Service.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • you could try asking the manufacturer if they are interested in it - sounds daft but I had a mate who cracked his helmet in an accident and specialized took it back and sent him a new replacement - it was something to do with their R&D - he might have been lucky about where the impact was/simply good timing but its worth firing off an email and asking the question - the worst that can happen is a straight no.....
  • Specialized do have a range of helmets with a lifetime warrenty. As soon as you get a knock etc. They replace it.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mouth wrote:
    Replace after any kind of knock. Also should be replaced every two years as a matter of course, say the cycle helmet manufacturers shareholders

FTFY.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I can't see where Specialized would replace an old helmet with a new one, after a crash. But there website does say
    Helmet Warranty

A helmet provides protection for one of the more vulnerable and more important parts of your body, your head. If you are unlucky enough to have an accident after purchasing a Specialized helmet, we offer a replacement at a fraction of the cost of a new model. We would rather see you protected than wearing a damaged and less effective helmet.

See here
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, the materials used for helmets have a design life of 3-5 years and do degrade due to exposure to UV, ozone etc. and therefore manufacturers cannot guarantee their safety performance after that period.
    Most manufacturers also offer a crash-replacement scheme for damaged helmets.
    Doesn't mean they're useless, but may not offer the same level of protection as designed / intended.

I was involved in the safety products industry for a number of years and sat on a number of industry committees looking after design / safety standards etc (although not bike helmets) but the principles were the same.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • seige
    thanks gents
    p.s as i am prob older than you lot,what does ftfy mean?
  • seige wrote:
    thanks gents
    p.s as i am prob older than you lot,what does ftfy mean?

Fixed that for you.
  • seige
    :oops: