Op. Puerto Trial in Jan

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited September 2012 in Pro race
The numerous high-profile athletes involved in Operacion Puerto will not go on trial. However 35 people –including Alberto Contador, Ivan Basso, Michele Scarponi, Joseba Beloki, Angel Vicioso, Isidro Nozal, Unai Osa, Jorg Jacksche, Gianpaolo Caruso and Jesus Manzano –who denounced the huge doping scheme after risking his life following treatment, have all been called to give evidence under oath during the trial.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/operacion-puerto-trial-to-finally-begin-in-january?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Wonder how strict the perjury laws are in Spain?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Beat you to it. Already posted. :wink:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    and

Operacion Puerto trial to finally begin* in January

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/operaci ... 0&ns_fee=0

*split infinitive. That headline should have read "Operacion Puerto trial finally to begin in January"

or even

"Operacion Puerto trial starts in January" :roll:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Oops, sorry. Still interested in what dirty Bertie will do if asked directly under oath what his involvement was. I imagine a few of his colleagues will be 'fessing up.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Oops, sorry. Still interested in what dirty Bertie will do if asked directly under oath what his involvement was. I imagine a few of his colleagues will be 'fessing up.

[troll]His involvement was probably just giving that group of people his contact for some great Spanish steak. No need to worry about perjury.[/troll]
    Mañana
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Still only cyclists on the list I see.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

He'll lie his tits off. Wonder if the DNA questions will be posed back, and if the AC initials will be pointed at by someone else who knows damn well whose they were.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I hope the non-cycling names come out more than anything else.
  • BigMat wrote:

Tennis names for starters...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:

and football... goldenballs, anyone?! :lol:
  • BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

and football... goldenballs, anyone?! :lol:

Glowing ones at any rate...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    What role does Yolanda Fuentes have in all this?
    I see that the main accused, if found guilty, may get 2 years in prison, perhaps even 4 years.
    But I'm not sure how the doctors should be judged. If a cyclist comes to a doctor and wants to know how to best dope, what's it got to do with the doctor if the cyclist goes against the rules of the cyclist's sport?

It would be good to see Manolo Saiz brought down to earth, for me he's one of the main culprits and yet even in June, in interviews in the French press, he was adamant that no doping took place in his teams, that he had no real contact with Fuentes and that the 50,000 Euro he had with him when he met Fuentes (and they were picked up) wasn't to pay Fuentes, but to pay his team's expenses during two weeks training.

Still, I suspect Saiz knows his cycling - in the same June interview (so before USADA and before Wiggins/TdF), Saiz interestingly said that Sky is the team whose preparation methods he most admires and are most akin to what he tried to achieve, and that he has no respect for Armstrong as a person, although he recognises him as a devoted capable cyclist who put in effort when training, e.g. Saiz says LA trained 10 times more than Botero, and that then made the difference between them in the GTs.