Pros/Cons of frame materials?

differentstrokes87
differentstrokes87 Posts: 140
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Just wondering what the ups and downs of the various frame materials are, be it carbon fibre, steel, alloy...

What's the main selling point of each?
Planet X XLS 2013
Planet X London Road 2015

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    This topic is covered weekly. Search...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    main selling point would be weight i would of thought
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    main selling point would be weight i would of thought
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    haf1zur wrote:
    main selling point would be weight i would have thought

Which makes fack all difference
  • Grill wrote:
    This topic is covered weekly. Search...

I have tried searching. I'm on my phone and for some reason the search options just isn't loading.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Comfort, Stiffness, Weight, Geometry, Style etc. etc. etc.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • The 4 materials are remarkably similar in behaviour, the difference is down to frame geometry and tube size... The only reason why carbon is stiffer is due to wider tubings, which in the case of steel would result in a heavy frame. Aluminium is a compromise in this respect, but these days is only used in cheap frames, hence to be avoided. Titanium has always been niche, no real advantages over steel, just expensive.

All the rest is pretty much commonly accepted nonsense (steel rusts, titanium is forever) and market hype (various stiffer, lighter, better claims)
    left the forum March 2023
  • The 4 materials are remarkably similar in behaviour, the difference is down to frame geometry and tube size... The only reason why carbon is stiffer is due to wider tubings, which in the case of steel would result in a heavy frame. Aluminium is a compromise in this respect, but these days is only used in cheap frames, hence to be avoided. Titanium has always been niche, no real advantages over steel, just expensive.

All the rest is pretty much commonly accepted nonsense (steel rusts, titanium is forever) and market hype (various stiffer, lighter, better claims)

A sensible answer finally, thanks.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    The 4 materials are remarkably similar in behaviour, the difference is down to frame geometry and tube size... The only reason why carbon is stiffer is due to wider tubings, which in the case of steel would result in a heavy frame. Aluminium is a compromise in this respect, but these days is only used in cheap frames, hence to be avoided. Titanium has always been niche, no real advantages over steel, just expensive.

Aluminium is only used in cheap frames, hence to be avoided? really, I have Pinarello FPUno which has a aluminium frame and the build quality in the frame is ten times better than the cheap entry level carbon frames you get for the same price.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    yup, pretty satisfied with my giant defy too ...
  • It's a generalisation... these days carbon has invaded even the low to mid end market, therefore only the bottom end frames are in alloy. It was different ten years ago, when alloy was the high end of the market.
    There might be notable exceptions of course, but typically in 2012 alloy frames are cheapos
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    There might be notable exceptions of course, but typically in 2012 alloy frames are cheapos
    But that's point though isn't it, there are notable exception and actually quite a lot of them such that they shouldn't be ignored. Yes people need to be guided to avoid poor quality examples but there are really good alloy bikes out there.

To name just a few:
    CAAD10
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Cervelo S1
    Specialized Allez
    Pinarello FPuno
    Eddie Merckx AMX-3
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I agree that carbon is 'all the rage' and that typically aluminium bikes are at the cheaper end of the market but I can not accept that aluminium frames are to be avoided.

I would much rather have a CAAD 10 than an equivalent priced carbon bike.

Anyway no one is saying that all aluminium bikes are cheapo and neither was anyone saying that all carbon bikes are fabulous.

The point for the OP I think is that you need to decide what you want from a bike and then you can start to look at the options, including frame materials to suit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I knew it was a can of worms... :lol:
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Generally:

Aluminium - The paupers choice, this is used on cheapo bottom of the range bikes BSO's from Asdas.
    Carbon - Super light, super stiff, ideal for racing on. Buy if you're an agressive small bloke.
    Steel - Heavy but comfortable, ideal for mincing out 100 miles on. Usually bought by odd, left of centre types.
    Titanium - Over priced wonder metal. The perfect frame material if you're an over weight, middle aged man who's run out of things to spend his huge pay packet on.

Decide who you are from the list above and buy accordingly!

I knew it was just a troll post. Quite a good troll, but still a troll.

It may be true that alu frames are at the cheapo end these days but it's not true to say that they should be avoided. You're in the trade so you know that very well.

Alu has not suddenly become a poor frame material, just because carbon has become the vogue and the relative marketing positioning of alu vs carbon has changed.

I knew it was just a troll post. Quite a good troll, but still a troll.

It may be true that alu frames are at the cheapo end these days but it's not true to say that they should be avoided. You're in the trade so you know that very well.

Alu has not suddenly become a poor frame material, just because carbon has become the vogue and the relative marketing positioning of alu vs carbon has changed.

It's not much the material, but rather the manufacturing processes. When frames are sold for a value equal to 100 quid or so there isn't much in the way of quality control... it's simpler to replace faulty ones, rather than making sure each individual one is of a good enough quality. The vast majority of alloy frames are of Halfords standard, then of course there are still some properly made ones, very few. The fact that nobody repairs them is indicative of the intrinsic low value associated with these... a welding + heat treatment and respray costs a lot more than a brand new one.
    In addition, there is a tendency towards fatigue failure associated with alloy frames, certainly more so than the other 3 materials, which make them a non viable option in the case of a high end product
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    richh wrote:
    But that's point though isn't it, there are notable exception and actually quite a lot of them such that they shouldn't be ignored. Yes people need to be guided to avoid poor quality examples but there are really good alloy bikes out there.

To name just a few:
    CAAD10
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Cervelo S1
    Specialized Allez
    Pinarello FPuno
    Eddie Merckx AMX-3

+1. Ugo you don't half spout some rubbish. Lots of very good Alu frames around and Alu carbon mixes.
    The 4 materials are remarkably similar in behaviour,
    nope not really, Steel Tit and Carbon are better at absorbing virbrations etc than Alu alloy. For this reason Alu forks are a bit of a no no (and a sign of a cheap bike)
    Titanium has always been niche, no real advantages over steel, just expensive
    well its also lighter and doesn't corrode and has better damping properties.

I'm surprised no-one has said carbon melts in the sun and disolves in the rain yet. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I take your point but anecdotally* we don't hear much about fatigue failure of alu frames so I'm not convinced to be honest. As long as we steer away from the very bottom end of the market (ie Halfords' entry level price points) then there are plenty of very good alu frames available.

The other way to look at it is that there has never been a better time to buy an aluminium frame, since their premium positioning has been taken up by carbon frames. In other words, a given manufacturer's alu frame is the same quality as it was when it was (previously) in a premium price position, but the real-terms price is lower than before.

You say alu is a "non viable option in the case of a high end product" but in a previous post you said "It was different ten years ago, when alloy was the high end of the market." If you want to make outrageous and inaccurate statements, at least try to keep your story consistent!

* If alu frame failure was common you can be sure it would be well covered in threads here. Come to think of it, I see more threads on here about carbon frames failing/cracking than any other material.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    styxd wrote:
    Generally:
    Titanium - Over priced wonder metal. The perfect frame material if you're an over weight, middle aged man who's run out of things to spend his huge pay packet on.

Overweight - erm no. In fact down to 79 kgs as of this morning.
    Middle aged - erm no, barely in my 30's.
    Huge pay packet - I left school at 15, what do you think?!
    Ti bike - Yes. Why? Well, when I decided to buy a new bike I wanted to ensure I bought wisely - I tested a good few, with different geometries and frame materials. The Enigma Echo was simply the best to ride and I love riding it. Simple as that. If it was made of aluminium/carbon/steel/dried weetabix I would have still bought it.

Every bike/frame, regardless of material has it's own characteristics, strengths and flaws. The one that feels good to ride and makes you feel good riding it, is the one to go for.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NITR8s wrote:
    Aluminium is only used in cheap frames, hence to be avoided? really, I have Pinarello FPUno which has a aluminium frame and the build quality in the frame is ten times better than the cheap entry level carbon frames you get for the same price.

Really? How have you quantified that. My Ribble is a 'cheap entry level' carbon frame yet it holds up well against my far from cheap Look. I love my Look but I'm realistic enough to know that the Ribble was vastly better value for money and I don't try to justify my Look on functional grounds. As for the paint finish - the Look certainly wins there but the Ribble is fine really.

Personally, I'd have the entry level carbon frame over an FPUno any day but that's a lot down to me just not finding alloy frames desirable (except maybe the infamous Caad9). Steel or carbon for me.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I take your point but anecdotally* we don't hear much about fatigue failure of alu frames so I'm not convinced to be honest. As long as we steer away from the very bottom end of the market (ie Halfords' entry level price points) then there are plenty of very good alu frames available.

The other way to look at it is that there has never been a better time to buy an aluminium frame, since their premium positioning has been taken up by carbon frames. In other words, a given manufacturer's alu frame is the same quality as it was when it was (previously) in a premium price position, but the real-terms price is lower than before.

You say alu is a "non viable option in the case of a high end product" but in a previous post you said "It was different ten years ago, when alloy was the high end of the market." If you want to make outrageous and inaccurate statements, at least try to keep your story consistent!

* If alu frame failure was common you can be sure it would be well covered in threads here. Come to think of it, I see more threads on here about carbon frames failing/cracking than any other material.

The aviation industry is finally moving away from aluminium alloys in favour of composites, not much for the weight saving, but for the shear cost involved in fighting fatigue related cracks in aluminium alloys. It costs way more to service a plane during its life than to buy it in the first place. It is a well known fact that Al suffers fatigue even at relatively low stress values and de facto does not have a fatigue limit in a Stress-N cycles curve. While Carbon frames fail due to impact or due to them being often under engineered to achieve the sub 1 Kg target or to quality control issues, aluminium fails over time due to cyclic stress. There is a significant proportion of frames cracking after 3-5 years, while the issue is pretty much irrelevant for steel and fatigue is not a problem for composites either. Is it a real problem? Probably not, but of course it's not meant to be for the top end of the market, whether that is racing (high stresses involved) or touring (high number of stress cycles).
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    haf1zur wrote:

which is why the cycling industry is obsessed with weight and pro riders wear shoes that are so light they hardley last one stage of a race and allmost every bike review criticises heavey wheels and top hill climbers use bikes with no brakes to save weight.
  • Using carbon fibre monocoque allows framebuilders to make bikes that are optimally aerodynamic and light.

But the best frame material has to be steel. It is the most things to the most people, it can last for decades, it can compete very favourably with carbon fibre and aluminium, and it can be easily repaired.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Horses for courses. It all depends on your requirements, the qualities of the specific grade of material, and how it's put together. I'd start with your requirements - what do you want to use it for, how much you want to spend, how long you want it to last.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Here is a link to Tour Magazines stress testing of different frame materials. Some of you decriers of Aluminium are in for a surprise.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/EFBe/frame_fatigue_test.htm

It was done a long tome ago but the results are still relevant, if not statistically significant.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • john1967 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    haf1zur wrote:

which is why the cycling industry is obsessed with weight and pro riders wear shoes that are so light they hardley last one stage of a race and allmost every bike review criticises heavey wheels and top hill climbers use bikes with no brakes to save weight.

The pro peloton uses whatever gear the manufacturers feel like giving them. Those deep section carbon rims might be aerodynamic, but they're also an excellent advertising opportunity. Bike reviewers are also paid to review things.

But in a race that can be decided on .03 of a second (which probably doesn't have all that much to do with the weight of the bicycle), it matters. To riders who need the greatest psychological advantage possible, it matters. In 'real world' cycling, it effectively doesn't matter at all. If nothing else, there's probably more weight on the largest mass on the bike that could be lost, and that doesn't cost anything, and then there's the fact that most amateurs are not nearly as good as the professionals at producing peak performance reliably and for extended periods.

The entry level bicycle of today is lighter than that of Stephen Roche (and lighter still than that of Eddy Merckx), not to mention equipped with features that he would have killed for. I know I'm not as good as Stephen Roche, so I'm not worried. :lol: