Just another Cube LTD...

defride
defride Posts: 277
edited December 2012 in Your mountain bikes
2012-09-20%252010.22.31.jpg

Just about finished...

Initially upgraded the bars and post to FSA carbon, for added comfort rather than weight. That worked but the post was a little short so moved it on and will get a 400mm carbon post shortly.

Next went the wheels, XTR M975 in their place. Tried Spec Fasttrax initially and that combo was 1kg lighter than the stock wheels! The Spec tyres were a bit sketchy so replaced them with Tioga Blue Dragons I had knocking around. A lot heavier, bags of confidence decending but slugs evrywhere else. Didn't enjoy riding them. I liked the Rapid Robs it came with so tried Racing Ralphs which are a good bit lighter than the Fasttrax and have settled on them for now. This change made a vast difference to the way the bike rides, hugely more responsive and fun to ride.

Finally I decided to ditch the stock triple chainset for XT 38/26 and added 2013 SLX shifters that can be switched between double and triple. One thing to note if you've got a LTD and fancy a double, the front mech is very tight to the chainstay, near as dammit touching in the 26t to get it to work with a 38t outer and it could do with being a couple of mm lower.

Not sure on their accuracy but the scales say 10.4kg as you see it. It feels light so guess thats ballpark.

Really enjoying this bike and don't need any more around here though the temptation of short travel FS is ever present lol

Happy riding all

Comments

• lovely co-ordination of frame seat and forks.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Looks smart, all goes together nicely.
  • defride
    Finished, picked up a new Fi'zi:k Cryano post. Liked the idea that the side walls of the post are thinner than front to back. Hopefully it'll add a touch of front to back flex and take a little sting out of that alu ride. Won't get a chance to try until the weekend though.

Will add a pic soon.

Think its going to be a keeper, for a while at least.
  • My friend has a LTD Race '12. Looking familiar and a great bike! Congrats!
  • defride
    2012-09-26%252011.43.59.jpg

Cheers for the comments.

Been a little while, plenty of riding until the most recent rain... planning to get out again this weekend though.

Pic, just to update on the final version. Rides real nice, was tempted to get an FS frame but like I'd said don't real need for more around here so I think its a keeper.

Best to all for a prosperous and dry(er at least) 2013