My shinny new MTB

agentsammo
agentsammo Posts: 19
edited September 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, not new to mountain biking but am new to using one for the correct purpose of going up hills and trails (used my for the commute to work)

Anyway i recently bought Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2012 Mountain Bike, the bike is light, fast, responsive, tight, the only thing i don't like is the pedals, any thoughts on upgrades in that part? also from reading the owner manual (yes i did read it) it says the forks aren't suitable for xc or downhill i risk death.

So my second question are the forks that are on good enough for the really rough stuff or will i be better of replacing them at some point?

So far i've found the forks to be light and zippy on my commute to work (over a flattish path with some lots of kerbs up and down), i live by some really big hills (old killpatrick) and really fancy doing them. Should i just ride it or get better forks.

I've got no problem changing anything over, so its not a worry.

cheers for the help :D

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pedals - Superstar Nanos.

Forks,not usre what you have currently, ride them until they annoy you, then get some Air forks with decent rebound damping - Id recommend either RS Recons or Rebas.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bike is an XC one, sure the manual doesn't say XC use only?

Suntour XCM I presume? they'll cope fine for XC and will be 'OK' at a trail centre until they clog up (the seals are pants) although they are easy to strip and clean.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    The bike is an XC one, sure the manual doesn't say XC use only?

Suntour XCM I presume? they'll cope fine for XC and will be 'OK' at a trail centre until they clog up (the seals are pants) although they are easy to strip and clean.
    SR Suntour XCR (SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP), magnesium lower, 30mm steel stanchions, 1-1/8" alloy steerer, hyd. damping w/ Specialized Spike Valve and alloy LO cartridge, XS/S: 80mm, M-XXL: 100mm travel
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, wasn't sure which Hopper had which,. the XCR is a better fork with the same seals as the XCM.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.