See through Lycra

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I was going up the hill in the middle of Richmond Park last night, gradually catching a guy ahead of me. It became painfully apparent that what I thought were a slightly off colour pair of bibs were actually just black ones that had gotten pretty much see through, particularly where they stretched the most. The crack area.

I've seen a few slightly thin pairs around but these were really bad. Do you guys tell people when you see this? I couldn't bring myself to say anything.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just a quick

"WTF is that, are you wearing 15 denier (no idea about this) tights or what?"

Will normally suffice
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    See through lycra is horrible - however the problem is not limited to cyclists (and at least most cyclists in lycra are protected by a chamois).

What gives me the particular hinkies is women in white lycra leggings (and recently, for some reason, vertical wide black and white striped leggings) parading their knickers. I do not want to see your knickers, be they thong, tanga or (on a distressingly hefty young lady at lunchtime) giant Bridget Jones heifer-holders.

But no, I don't tell them either. "Excuse me Miss? Did you know that I can read the label on your topshop thong? And that you might want to consider going up a size?" Not gonna play well.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't like seeing a ladies butt in leggings (however nice it is) but when they are cheap/worn and see through it is horrid, leggings should eb worn under a top that at least drops to the level of the bottom of the cheeks....

Back on topic, just tell him, if it was me (I don't wear Lycra) I'd want to know!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    There was a cyclist on Tooley St a week or so ago wearing what seemed to be a skin coloured all-in-one type kit. Rather disconcerting.
  • I don't like seeing a ladies butt in leggings (however nice it is)

I love this :P
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Ian.B wrote:
    There was a cyclist on Tooley St a week or so ago wearing what seemed to be a skin coloured all-in-one type kit. Rather disconcerting.

Yeah I have seen him also a couple of times - it has fig leaf printed on the lycra over the nipple and crotch - funny but disconcerting!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:

Yeah I have seen him also a couple of times - it has fig leaf printed on the lycra over the nipple and crotch - funny but disconcerting!

I'm glad I didn't see him from the front!
  • It is worse in the rain. I had a horrible experience in a race once. I had to pull out of the strung out line and drop back a few places or I'd have been sick.

Designers of kit need to think a bit. White, pink and thin lycra is a BAD idea across the crack.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    SimonAH wrote:
    See through lycra is horrible - however the problem is not limited to cyclists (and at least most cyclists in lycra are protected by a chamois).

What gives me the particular hinkies is women in white lycra leggings (and recently, for some reason, vertical wide black and white striped leggings) parading their knickers. I do not want to see your knickers, be they thong, tanga or (on a distressingly hefty young lady at lunchtime) giant Bridget Jones heifer-holders.

But no, I don't tell them either. "Excuse me Miss? Did you know that I can read the label on your topshop thong? And that you might want to consider going up a size?" Not gonna play well.

:lol::lol::lol: Almost on the floor after reading this :lol::lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't like seeing a ladies butt in leggings (however nice it is) but when they are cheap/worn and see through it is horrid, leggings should eb worn under a top that at least drops to the level of the bottom of the cheeks....

I used to know a girl who was in the habit of wearing tan coloured leggings at work. That caused more than one moment of sheer horror before I realised that she was actually wearing something!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't think I'd tell 'em. 'Cause that would mean I'd have to say I'd been looking at 'is 'arris. Not only would I have to admit it to him, I'd have to admit it to myself; and I'm not sure I'd want to. O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    One pair of my castelli black bibs is now well into anti drafting territory even has a couple of well placed holes yet I can't bring myself to throw them away after all I can't see my arse and very few people are slow enough to draft me so what the hell, looking into my third eye....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    OH mentioned that there was a small amount of flesh visible through a penny-piece sized hole in one of my pairs of shorts the other week. Obviously I ignored it; when I next looked a week or so later the Lycra had almost detached itself from the chamois pad. It can only have been great for any drivers following me for those odd few days, I like to think.

Tell? Heck yes. People need to know.