Whats the difference between these jackets?

haf1zur
haf1zur Posts: 124
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

As winter is fast approaching i thought i would go and get myself a wind proof jacket that can also hold the rain back, was going through evanscycles website and two jackets caught my eye

Castelli Squandra and Castelli Leggero in black

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... t-ec027333

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... t-ec033729

Now one is 40 pounds and the other nearly double at 68 pounds, what i cant figure out is what is the difference between them?

If someone can advise, thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The more expensive one is lighter and breathable. The cheaper one does not claim to be breathable and is therefore by definition 'boil in the bag'
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I think it is difficult to tell sometimes online.... But the expensive one is described as EXTREMELY lightweight and compact, which suggests to me it is more so than the other one. It also mentions breathability.

Being a beginner myself I haven't faced a winter of road cycling yet, but I'm guessing if it's anything like skiing, breathability Is very desirable!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The more expensive one looks like its lighter, "windproof, water repellent, and breathable."
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    haf1zur wrote:

Now one is 40 pounds and the other nearly double at 68 pounds, what i cant figure out is what is the difference between them?

If someone can advise, thanks

£28 :D Sorry couldn't resist
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Is that a typo on Evans?! I have the Squadra, didn't know they did a Squandra.

Anyway, the Squadra is a race cape/pull out of your jersey pocket in a sudden change of weather jacket. It isn't very breathable and I wouldnt' attempt to wear one for the duration of a ride in the rain. The longest I've used mine for was 45 mins in a downpour of sleet/hail/snow and it worked well but I did heat up and there was a good build up of condensation when I took it off. I would still recommend it for temporary protection from the elements.

I dare say the more expensive one is a little more breathable but for a pure out and out wet weather jacket I'd look elsewhere.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    In fact, for Winter get one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... cket-2012/

and, if you can afford it, the Squadra too.

I use a Mavic Softshell in Winter and carry the Squadra in case of a sudden downpour. If it's going to be raining for the full duration then I have a Mavic H2O jacket, which is excellent.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    the leggero fabric has a soft feel, it is very light, packs very small, the fabric and cut mean it doesn't flap around like some jackets - very windproof, extremely breathable, also ok for showers/light rain, i use mine a lot

the squadra is a heavier fabric (gore windstopper), not as breathable
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jordan_217
    sungod wrote:
    ...the squadra is a heavier fabric (gore windstopper), not as breathable

It most definitely isn't Gore Windstopper or anything similar. It's cagoule style nylon, nothing fancy.
  • haf1zur
    Thanks for the replies

Will the fitting for the Leggero vs the Squandra be the same? as they don't have the Leggero available in any store, not so sure on ordering online.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So its a jacket for when the weather is crap.
    Its raining, probably dull.
    Drivers are using wipers and possibly misting up windscreens.

You get out your black coloured jacket...
  • haf1zur
    cougie wrote:
    So its a jacket for when the weather is crap.
    Its raining, probably dull.
    Drivers are using wipers and possibly misting up windscreens.

You get out your black coloured jacket...

may as well look good while going down......
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    The Leggero is a race cape/pull out of your jersey pocket in a sudden change of weather jacket. It isn't very breathable and I wouldnt' attempt to wear one for the duration of a ride in the rain. The longest I've used mine for was 30 mins in a downpour of rain and it worked well but I did heat up and there was a good build up of condensation when I took it off. I would still recommend it for temporary protection from the elements.
  • sungod
    jordan_217 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

It most definitely isn't Gore Windstopper or anything similar. It's cagoule style nylon, nothing fancy.

sorry, but that is completely wrong, check the label, it's not nylon

castelli explicity states that it's windstopper on their website...

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/349/

...bear in mind that gore makes more than one "windstopper" fabric, they do not all feel/look the same
  • sungod
    haf1zur wrote:
    Thanks for the replies

Will the fitting for the Leggero vs the Squandra be the same? as they don't have the Leggero available in any store, not so sure on ordering online.

i'd get the leggero every time, the forcefield fabric is just much better than windstopper

buy based on chest+waist size using the sizing chart, the fit is snug, good online sellers will let you exchange as long as the item is in perfect condition, leave tags attached etc.

shop around, depending on colour/size you can get a leggero for under 60 quid in the uk

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Castel ... l&tbm=shop
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you'll find the Squandra a complete waste of money :wink:

I have a Goretex Paclite jacket for when it's wet. I'm still amazed at how well it breathes. I can tell how wet I'd have been in a boil in the bag jacket by looking at the condensation on the seams and other impervious bits.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Anyone had experience with this jacket?

Gore Bike Wear Contest 2.0 Active Shell Jacket - 2012

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... cket-2012/

I bought one for £80 from Evans since I really like the Gore stuff, but havent had a chance to try it out yet.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I got one a few weeks ago. Only worn it twice. First time for a 7 a.m. descent of Alpe D'Huez and it kept me warm - obviously I was not working too hard!! Second time was the other night when there was a pretty cool wind blowing and , to be honest, I got the impression it was a bit "boil in the bag" . Could be wrong as I think it was a bit overkill for the conditions. Packs ok for the back pocket and fits nicely. Probably be able to tell more as the weather cools.
  • haf1zur
    Well just collected the Leggero from Evans, big difference in material from what i can see between the Squandra and the Leggero

Will have to see how it goes, liking the little pouch/sack it comes with

Hafizur
  • jordan_217
    sungod wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

sorry, but that is completely wrong, check the label, it's not nylon

castelli explicity states that it's windstopper on their website...

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/349/

...bear in mind that gore makes more than one "windstopper" fabric, they do not all feel/look the same

Label checked - 100% polyamide, more generically known as nylon. Theres no indication in any place on the jacket to indicate windstopper or any other similar material. Stop talking 5hit