The unalloyed joy of the PVR

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Nowt on't tellybox, so we fired up a random PVR recording.

From the Olympics.

It were bloody magic.

Started with the Brownlees in the triathlon (we were there for that - tried to cross the road, queued for ages, got to the front just in time for the marshals to say we had to wait. Expected to see a motorbike go past and instead had the leading pack sweep by being towed by Stuart Haynes with the Brownlees tucked in. Got to feel the bow wave coming off them as they blew past - awesome!).

Then Trotty in the Omnium. She's just a little girl who happens to be able to crush the opposition and then giggle her head off. Unbelievably smooth pedal stroke compared to Hammer's thrashing around. Followed by VP and the Anna Mears incident. Went through this frame by frame for the first time and could see that VP left the sprinter's lane just before Mears deployed the elbow, so correct call IMO.

Then Hoy in the Kieren. Unreal. At two laps to go he goes, pretends to be the durney for a lap and a half, a cheeky German has a look and gets his rear wheel alongside Hoy's front, then in the final bend Hoy just lights up the afterburners and wins comfortably.

Then a team dressage gold (ok, horse dancing, but it's still a gold). We started the evening on 18 golds and by the end of the programme had 22 on the totaliser - Gaby is wearing out the recording of Spandau's Gold.

Bronze in the men's high jump, and then onto the boxing (which I was at!) to see Freddie Evans go through for a bronze medal.

Looking back, that was an unbelievable time. Tonight I watching that day's highlights, and nothing more. But then we could watch the day unfold in front of us; every last piece of it. Then watch it all pulled together in the evening, and then everything would start all over again the next day. And the next. And the next. Short pause for breath, the restart completely with the Paras.

I really don't think I'll live to see anything like it again.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Grand Designs was good.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Greg66 wrote:
    Then Hoy in the Kieren. Unreal.
    I couldn't believe it when he did that, the power he has is astounding :shock:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Best summer of sport ever.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I was at Hyde park to see the triathlon that day, and then went to the bt live event to watch all those medals on the big screen.

I think I fell in love with Laura trott that day....

I've never watched the free form dressage before, and I never thought you could get a horse to dance like dujardin did...mesmerising..

I know we've all done the post Olympic analysing to death, but I just got the CD of music from the opening ceremony for my birthday and listening to it just gives me goosebumps remembering it all.....
  • Unalloyed is a great word.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

It'd be nice if they could spell it right....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

It'd be nice if they could spell it right....
    Hoy just Burns them all off in the Kieran doesn't he? :wink:
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    PBo wrote:
    I was at Hyde park to see the triathlon that day, and then went to the bt live event to watch all those medals on the big screen.
    I was a Gamesmaker at the triathlon. Was told we could watch the medal ceremony from the grandstand as there were spaces; took a wrong turn and ended up in the area reserved for the press and athlete-spectators. I stood next to GB athletes to watch the Brownlee brothers get their medals.

I still get emotional just thinking about it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just watched the Aug 4th gold rush followed by the 10:00 news from the same night then Cav winning the last Friday stage of the TdF, when Wiggo led him into the last K then left his oppo to lead Cav into his big finish.

I reckon by any accounts that qualifies as a decent summer of sporting achievement. Shame that the diving cheating con-the-ref game is back to dominate the Autumnal evenings.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CiB wrote:
    Shame that the diving cheating con-the-ref game is back to dominate the Autumnal evenings.
    What 'game' qualifies for that honourific?

Football is an entertainment industry only one step (cerebrally) removed from gladiators in an amphitheatre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.